Help on selecting a CPU for a laptop upgrade

jennaron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 4810t (timeline) and I was wanting to upgrade the CPU in it to a dual core. The single core thing just isn't doing it for me. I mainly use it for school and often multitask on it. I have noticed that the thing gets rather sluggish when I'm trying to do multiple things at once, which isn't surprising given the single core.

I looked at the CPUz of it and the thing has an Intel Core 2 solo (running at 1.4GHz) which is a socket p. I haven't yet done some research on CPUs for it, but I was hoping to get some refining on if I should and what type of dual core would work best. I'm thinking the Core 2 Duo, but I'm not sure the voltage requirements of the CPU and if my mainboard will be able to handle the extra load. I know my battery life will go down with a new CPU, I'm not too worried about that. I would just like a bit more performance from the thing.

Any suggestion would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

jennaron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
So, I've been poking around the internet and I found this little jewel.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=T7700&src=FR&pid=19b8d9fbcfd664e2602e5d806b5b5f4e2254fc05b11d8e143981bf6ae84abbc9

I've been looking on the Intel website as well, looking to make sure that this CPU will fit into my socket P. My CPUz says that it is a socket P (478) But it doesn't much more information than that. I wish I knew if this CPU would fit into the socket on my laptop. Can someone clarify this for me? On the Intel website it says that this is a socket PBGA479 or PPGA478. I think my Acer is the latter, the PPGA478, again, I'm not terribly certain as I don't know much about the laptop motherboard.

jennaron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I;m not really sure. I was hoping that someone here would have more information for me about that. There is not a lot of information available for this laptop... though I'm not sure why. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place.