First build need advise

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all, I just completed my first build and I used Tom's $1500.00, 2009 contest winner as my blueprint. I'm happy to say I pressed the power button and the mobo went into the boot screen so i guess so far all is well.
My next step I understand, is to load the operating system. I'm a little confused by the options available. Do I choose configure SATA2 as AHCI with NCQ function or configure as IDE ? I would like to have all the special functionality the mobo offers (ie, fast boot, oc profiles, etc) but If I choose configure as AHCI with NCQ function I have to create a diskette with SATA drivers to a floppy disk (which I don't have) which is used to load 3rd party drivers at the beginning of the boot process (f6) when loading the OS. I need more instruction about NCQ, IDE and AHCI. Also can I substitute a thumb drive for the floppy drive to copy the drivers onto?
AsRock Extreme 58
intel i7 730 2.8
corsair dominator

thanks all

Have you tried installing windows 7 in achi mode? I had no problems with my patriot ssd. Windows 7 found the Intel sata driver. You can also manually try loading the driver using the motherboard cd. Insert the cd when prompted and select the "chipset" category to look for the sata device driver.