Fixing the master boot sector without losing other partitions

auspi01

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I had 5 partitions in my 80gb hdd NTFS XP, today i turned on my computer so my hdd got problem to boot up. it is the 2nd time my xp got corrupt within twice a week. unfortunately i didnt backup my important data in other partitions. i started to install xp again on hdd and it gives me error of master boot sector got corrupt. i boot up win7 from other hdd and it shows my bad hdd data i tried to write all backup but it gives me error in writing dvd. then again i tried to run setup xp on corrupt hdd but this time only detecting the hdd but not showing any of partition and not runing the setup as well.

can any body help me out to fix my hdd. without losing data.

Solution
At this point, I would give up on booting from the drive and use recovery utilities such as EASEUS partition recovery, recuva, Clonzezilla, or one of many others to make sure that I can recover all the data that I need.

Then replace either the drive, if that is the source of the problem, or the computer.
At this point, I would give up on booting from the drive and use recovery utilities such as EASEUS partition recovery, recuva, Clonzezilla, or one of many others to make sure that I can recover all the data that I need.

Then replace either the drive, if that is the source of the problem, or the computer.

Solution

auspi01

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

thanks bro, EASEUS solved my problem, and i recovered all of deleted data back.... you made me day bounce:

but how to make my hdd ok? it is not detecting neither showing partitions. can i retrieve my hdd???

Well, you could download the manufacturer's diagnostics and, if it passes a deep diagnostic, boot into a Linux distro and format it. I would use Parted Magic, but not because of extensive comparison.

Be prepared to discard and replace whatever is causing the problem: drive, motherboard, power supply, whatever. My last build was unintended; my previous southbridge, err, went south. Two drive failures before it quit booting entirely.

auspi01

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

pardon... my 80gb hdd only detecting in pc setup, but it is invisible through booting from other hdd, neither fdisk or disk manger running on it.

Is it possible to make it as slave only for data storage?

auspi01

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Porblem Solved!!!
today my bad mbr hdd got fix up, through "Active@ KillDisk" i just removed all data and partitions and change mbr through "Easeus" and fortunately it worked out ... ..

Thanks again for helping me out!!!