logdirects181

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
right now i have stock cooler with phenom II X4 which is crap
i have to clean the heatsink by unmounting it almost every month to keep temps in control
i was going for an aftermarket thermal paste(just cooler master htk-002),so will it be fine for thermal paste if i have to unmount heatsink?i mean my money will be worth even if cpu is 2-3 degrees Celsius cooler as stock paste i think is a total waste

Solution

I 2nd That!

***************************************************************************************************

Additionally to harsh117711:

Thermal Compound application has everything to do with it's thermal conductivity, you only need enough to fill the imperfections of the two contacting surfaces, too much thermal compound acts more towards insulating instead of conducting the heat.

The Heat Sink itself is what is doing the cooling job, the thermal compound is only replacing the poor heat conducting air between the heat sink and the CPU, best results are achieved using the least amount of thermal compound you can get away with.

It's best to do...

logdirects181

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

thanks man but i would have if could have,only these two pastes are available in my area:CM htk-002,CM IC value V1(india's rural area) so i'm stuck with them
also very few heatsinks are available so i have thought about all that but thanks anyways
so does CM IC value makes any sense?

I 2nd That!

***************************************************************************************************

Additionally to harsh117711:

Thermal Compound application has everything to do with it's thermal conductivity, you only need enough to fill the imperfections of the two contacting surfaces, too much thermal compound acts more towards insulating instead of conducting the heat.

The Heat Sink itself is what is doing the cooling job, the thermal compound is only replacing the poor heat conducting air between the heat sink and the CPU, best results are achieved using the least amount of thermal compound you can get away with.

It's best to do trial fittings of the heat sink and inspect the thermal compound footprint, that way you can see if you are using too much or not enough and then you will know how much it takes to just fill the air gaps between the two surfaces, because that is all you need to apply.

Solution

logdirects181

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

thanks,completely got what i needed to know now
closing the thread