Sign in with
Your question

I get bsod and freeze with my graphic card when i play several games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2009 12:17:19 PM

I got a big problem. Ever since i got my new(1½ years old now) graphic card(NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT) i have gotten bsod's and freezes in some games. It's mainly only first person shooters for some reason but it has occured in a Stragegy game also? When i first got the card 1½ year ago i just ignored it and realized that i just wasnt meant to play most of my favourite games anymore. But now i'am pissed and i just want it to work. The card should easily handle those games considering my Geforce 7900 GS could. I simply tryed everything with my 8800 gt.

I checked for overheating and that wasnt the problem. I checked for PSU and it wasnt the problem. I even tryed unistall all of my drivers so nothing was left and installed the newest graphic card driver released.

Also i think it is weird it mainly give me bsod's in FPS games. Is my card broke? Because then i bought a broken card all new or is there some kind of error in the cards 3D thing(Dont know what it's called)?

Please i really need help. I appreciate all help i can get.

PS: If there is something i wrote you dont understand or need further information please tell me. btw im from denmark thats why my english isn't that good:) 
December 11, 2009 5:54:53 PM

Hi,
You don't mention which card you are using, besides an 8800GT. I used to have a similiar problem with my old OC2 8800GT. Even though the card wasn't apparently overheating, by underclocking the card (shader,memory and gpu), I was able to get a very stable card.

Kevin
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 6:03:44 PM

I don't think it's the card, sounds more like a RAM issue. Can you post your PC spec's?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 6:08:13 PM

List the down the specs of your pc including power supply(model/capacity)

My 8800GT OC 512 runs like a champ on another machine.
December 14, 2009 2:55:38 PM

Hi guys,
Can you tell me where to see a full list of my pc spec?

I'am pretty lost :) 

a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 3:21:05 PM

Do you have an idea of what hardware you are running at the moment? Like CPU/motherboard/ram/PSU info?
December 14, 2009 3:45:27 PM

I have no idea what motherboard i'am using, and i'm not quite sure what PSU im using other than it's a 550W PSU. The other things i know.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 3:59:55 PM

Did you ever remove the old drivers using driver sweeper? You need to make sure you get rid of all leftover software, there might be some still on your drive...
December 14, 2009 4:21:50 PM

Yes i also try'd that.. I even reinstalled all things and Windows but the same problem occured.

Here is some of my spec:
It's an HP Pavilion a6140.sc
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
SPARKLE Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 1GB
3 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs. Supports Dual Channel DDR2
hec Win Power 550W PSU

I changed my GPU and PSU, but all the other things is originaly from the HP.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 4:51:47 PM

Have you memtested your ram just to make sure it's not the ram?
December 14, 2009 4:53:25 PM

Nope. How do i do that?
December 15, 2009 1:27:19 AM

Hi.....U know i've had issues with my 9600GT card for ages.....It wasn't overheating and all my specs seemed normal and correct.....I tried everything changing the power unit and fixing fans to underclocking......but without any success....

I was left with the thought that mayb it was a faulty card but the fact that it could still be a power issue remainedd in my head.....I consulted so many people and read soo much and got to know more about the PSU....Even though I had a a 550W PSU it wasn't branded and i later figured out it was only producing around 250W of absolute power!!!! with around 16A of 12V......

I should be shot for using generic power units....and i'm thankfu; it didn't burn my house down!!!! So please check ur power unit.....its the most important part of ur PC so don't hesitate to spend a lot on it......its worth it.

I changed mine to an ASUS(though this is not the best brand its reliable and was the best one I could find in my country) which was 500W on the surface but had an absolute output of more than 450W.....with 3 18A 12V lines......My machine has been working like a baby eversince......Its such a waste I din replace it before.....So think about it
December 15, 2009 1:15:24 PM

OvrClkr said:
Before we do that, run this program....

http://downloads.guru3d.com/FurMark-v1.7.0-download-232...

if it crashes during the benchmark the it's most likeley you have a faulty video card...

Okay, i ran the program and it didnt crash. Though my video card was getting pretty hot. I did the Stability Test where it went from 45 to 108 celcius!!! Which i think is a alot to high?

Just wierd last time i checked for overheating "even twice with different programs" i only got to 79 celsius. But again when i tested last time i was using a game i got bsod's in to see how high it would go and it only went to 79 celsius.

Maybe it is because FurMark making the PC going to the limit? or is this a serious heat problem i got now?

Quote:
Hi.....U know i've had issues with my 9600GT card for ages.....It wasn't overheating and all my specs seemed normal and correct.....I tried everything changing the power unit and fixing fans to underclocking......but without any success....

I was left with the thought that mayb it was a faulty card but the fact that it could still be a power issue remainedd in my head.....I consulted so many people and read soo much and got to know more about the PSU....Even though I had a a 550W PSU it wasn't branded and i later figured out it was only producing around 250W of absolute power!!!! with around 16A of 12V......

I should be shot for using generic power units....and i'm thankfu; it didn't burn my house down!!!! So please check ur power unit.....its the most important part of ur PC so don't hesitate to spend a lot on it......its worth it.

I changed mine to an ASUS(though this is not the best brand its reliable and was the best one I could find in my country) which was 500W on the surface but had an absolute output of more than 450W.....with 3 18A 12V lines......My machine has been working like a baby eversince......Its such a waste I din replace it before.....So think about it

@savandes

I will, but tell me how i can see how much power it is producing? Can you see it from a program or some sort of thing?
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2009 1:32:39 PM

Have you tried to manually increase the fan speed? If not download Ntune and make sure your fan speed is set to 50/60% when you test or play a game.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.38.00.html

Once you up the fan speed try running Furmark again and check temps.....
December 15, 2009 6:19:24 PM

Okay, i installed the program but i cant find anything about fan speed.
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2009 6:47:16 PM

If you open Ntune/Nvidia Control Panel you will see a "disclaimer" tab on the left hand side of the screen. Once you click on accept the program will open up the fan and GPU overclocking tab.

a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2009 7:35:23 PM

Ok, could be a few things, but it looks like two possibilities:

1: Overheating

Frankly, if you're overheating at stock, then its time for either a RMA or a new cooling setup

2: Bad RAM

Makes sense and easy to diagnose. Download memtest86 to a bootable floppy/USB and run for a few hours.
December 15, 2009 8:32:25 PM

OvrClkr said:
If you open Ntune/Nvidia Control Panel you will see a "disclaimer" tab on the left hand side of the screen. Once you click on accept the program will open up the fan and GPU overclocking tab.

I got some kind of error just before installation completion is complete but it completes and it installs fine. But it dont give me more options/tabs and no such a tab named something near fan and gpu. do i need to install nTune where i installed my nvidia driver because then i failed big time? btw do i need the lastest driver for nTune to work cuz this nvidia driver is 1½ month old. I just downloaded the newest but i havn't installed it yet.

I heard RivaTuner could increase fan too, maybe i should try that instead? or what do you think?

Sorry for my english grammar if it sucks :) 

gamerk316 said:
Ok, could be a few things, but it looks like two possibilities:

1: Overheating

Frankly, if you're overheating at stock, then its time for either a RMA or a new cooling setup

2: Bad RAM

Makes sense and easy to diagnose. Download memtest86 to a bootable floppy/USB and run for a few hours.

I will definitely try that memtest if heating isn't the problem.

a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2009 8:42:43 PM

Yes you can use Rivatuner as well.

As long as you have Nvidia drivers installed you should not have an issue installing Ntune.
December 16, 2009 1:26:21 AM

bestfistever said:
Okay, i ran the program and it didnt crash. Though my video card was getting pretty hot. I did the Stability Test where it went from 45 to 108 celcius!!! Which i think is a alot to high?

Just wierd last time i checked for overheating "even twice with different programs" i only got to 79 celsius. But again when i tested last time i was using a game i got bsod's in to see how high it would go and it only went to 79 celsius.

Maybe it is because FurMark making the PC going to the limit? or is this a serious heat problem i got now?

Quote:

@savandes

I will, but tell me how i can see how much power it is producing? Can you see it from a program or some sort of thing?

As far as I know there is no software that can check your power output. The best you could do is to check the stiker/label fount on your PSU. It has all the details and reliable if its a trusted brand.
December 16, 2009 12:53:17 PM

OvrClkr said:
Yes you can use Rivatuner as well.

As long as you have Nvidia drivers installed you should not have an issue installing Ntune.

Okay i will try RivaTuner then. Do you know how to do it through RivaTuner?

savandes said:
As far as I know there is no software that can check your power output. The best you could do is to check the stiker/label fount on your PSU. It has all the details and reliable if its a trusted brand.

Okay. i searched alittle on my PSU and i got this from a website making a review about it http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1818
I found this particular text lines from the review:

"According to HEC, the +3.3V line can deliver up to 32A and the +5V up to 38A, for a combined max output of 240W of power. The WIN 550UB has two +12V rails, the first which can deliver 18A and the second which can pump out 17A. Those of you using large/full tower cases will love that the power cables are 60cm in length to the first connector. The WinPower 550UB is compatible with many standards, not just ATX 2.01. It's also fully Intel EPS 12V and AMD ATXGES compatible which means the power supply can be used with SOHO servers as well.... though that would not be our recommendation. "

Does that mean it actually only gives me 240W Power and not 550W? Because then im 99,9% sure what is causing my problem with the graphic card.
Or did i understand it wrong? The text does what i can see talk about different types of rails and lines. What is that, does it have anything to do with my power?

-----------------------------------

Thanks in advance both of you :) 
December 16, 2009 9:53:11 PM

I increased my fan to 60% even 80% and 100% and i got the same result as before. it still reach 108 celsius no matter how much i increase my fan speed.
December 17, 2009 3:44:47 PM

anyone got a suggestion on how to solve my problem?
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 7:10:08 PM

1: Card is getting to hot. Can't be sure at this point if thats related to the BSOD, but its a good excuse for a RMA in any case.

2: Run memtest86. I refuse to overly diagnose BSOD errors until this step is completed.

3: The odds of a PSU working, but causing BSOD due to power fluctuations are slim to non; more likely the PSU would fail in some form by now.
December 17, 2009 7:57:46 PM

gamerk316 said:
1: Card is getting to hot. Can't be sure at this point if thats related to the BSOD, but its a good excuse for a RMA in any case.

2: Run memtest86. I refuse to overly diagnose BSOD errors until this step is completed.

3: The odds of a PSU working, but causing BSOD due to power fluctuations are slim to non; more likely the PSU would fail in some form by now.

Keep in mind that my previous card worked fine and i never got bsod's before my new card. also i did test my card on 2 other PC's where it did exatcly the same and gave me bsod's.
- but okay i will try running memtest.. How do i run it and where?
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 8:01:19 PM

When you raised the fan speed did you hear a loud noise comming from your PC?
December 17, 2009 8:21:10 PM

OvrClkr said:
When you raised the fan speed did you hear a loud noise comming from your PC?

No, not really and i think i know why. My card is fanless with heat pipes:o  Isn't heat pipes better than a fan?
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 8:56:00 PM

hehe, when we asked you to raise the fan speed of your GPU we thought or shall I say I thought you had the regular OEM cooler. Kinda lost here.....
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 9:44:04 PM

My 8600gt similar chip die with less processing going on will hit a 100c in Furmark, In gaming it never goes over 84 though. I have no crashes. Anyways, for that case a fan less card was probably not the best choice. Underclock 10% across the board with Nvdia's control panel.
!