Sign in with
Your question

4th sata port not recognizing a connection

Last response: in Motherboards
June 17, 2010 6:10:48 PM

I have a asus M3N78-VM motherboard. As o yesterday i had only 3 sata ports being used for 2hdd's and a dvd drive, i purchased a new hdd and moved the sata cable for the dvd drive from 3 to 4. The new hdd is recognized and working fine but my dvd drive is no longer recognized even in the bios. The first 3 sata ports are sata to ide and the 4th and 5th i have no idea, I checked teh spec on the asus site and it doesn't really help. Is there any way that i can get my computer to recognize the 4th and 5th port as ide or even just register that something is connected?

here is the motherboard http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ovqEgLFRjnSClhSV&content=specifications
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2010 7:19:00 PM

As far as I know the sata to ide thing is actually only specific to HDDs. HDDs can run as ACHI/RAID or IDE, IDE being the older standard. Shouldn't really matter for the DVD drive. I'd say it's probably a dead port. Have you tried putting the DVD dive into port 5? Could also be the cable. Make sure to check all connections. You might want to peruse your BIOS and just see what it says for settings as far as SATA ports go or if you have a I/O menu that shows what's plugged in there might be options there.
m
l
June 18, 2010 7:25:40 PM

i think u may be right but bth may be dead ports Ive tried different cable combination's even the new sata cable from the hdd and i tried 4 and 5 i may just have to go out and get a ribbon drive, i hate the thought of that though.

Ass for the bios Ive checked every setting and can only see 1-3 anywhere in the bios, even just looking for the ports not having anything connected there not there, maybe the mobo is getting old and i should replace it.
m
l
!