Solved

Customizing HP desktop

I'm not real technical - Trying to decide what to put in a HP e9300 Z desktop - The computer will be for medium level use in Photoshop and Power Point - Second Life building and maintaining an iTunes library in the 20 GB range.
Trying not to waste money buying too much or too little. Any help will be appreciated -

Choice #1 = AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz vs 2.8 GHz $50 difference.

Choice #2 = 6GB RAM free or 8 GB RAM for $80

Choice #3 = Video card
512 Atheon 4350 $ free
512 NVidia G210 @ $20
1GB Radeon 5450 @ $50
1GB Radeon 4650 @ $70.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about customizing desktop
  1. Best answer
    For the CPU:
    -You didn't provide us with enough details.
    -however I will assume you are talking about the Athlon IIx4 since the 620 model is at 2.6GHz and the 630 model is at 2.8GHz. They are both quad cores.
    -Assuming that, I would say go for the 2.8GHz model. Even though it's not worth the $50 extra.

For the ram:
    -6GB is more than enough

Video card:
    -for your uses there is no point in spending more.
    -however, unlike the CPU upgrade, each upgrade is actually worth it's extra price.
  2. Thanks - really appreciate the thoughts - your analysis of the 620 / 630 models was correct.
    HP is upselling their "premium" n LAN card - Is that worth the $30 extra they add ? They are talking about dual channel etc - I would be using it on my my home network - though I am about due for a router upgrade.

Again thanks -

enzo matrix said:
    For the CPU:
    -You didn't provide us with enough details.
    -however I will assume you are talking about the Athlon IIx4 since the 620 model is at 2.6GHz and the 630 model is at 2.8GHz. They are both quad cores.
    -Assuming that, I would say go for the 2.8GHz model. Even though it's not worth the $50 extra.

For the ram:
    -6GB is more than enough

Video card:
    -for your uses there is no point in spending more.
    -however, unlike the CPU upgrade, each upgrade is actually worth it's extra price.
  3. Best answer selected by herbstan.
  4. You bolded "n" so I'm going to assume that the other network cards offered are not "n" and n is the only difference. If this is the case, you will only be able to utilize the high speed n if you have a wireless n router. If you don't it would be a waste so just keep with the wireless G unless you intend to be using a wireless n router at some point.
    I'm sorry, I actually missed the "second life building" thing you mentioned. I'm unsure how graphics dependent it would be but as long as you meet the system requirements (or preferably exceed them a little), you should be fine.
  5. Here's a kick - after going through the process with HP Home - they get down to -"okay, it's almost on order - BUT we need to tell you Windows 7 Premium isn't backward compatible on any of your software not designed for Windows 7 - if you want Backward Compatability - you need to spring for another $75 and upgrade to Windows 7 Professional - BUT since I was ordering a quick ship - and that couldn't be upgraded, now they were going to build me custom unit that would now only cost the $75 and another $200 to $300 to match the original unit.

maybe I'm the only guy on the plantet that didn't get that memo - but I canceled the order while I think about that.

And the upselling was drawn out - we had to discuss whether I needed keybords, monitors, surge protection, extended warranty --- all of which I have or don't want -
    man that was ~~~~~~ something -
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Hewlett Packard Components