Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Customizing HP desktop

Last response: in Components
February 15, 2010 2:15:49 PM

I'm not real technical - Trying to decide what to put in a HP e9300 Z desktop - The computer will be for medium level use in Photoshop and Power Point - Second Life building and maintaining an iTunes library in the 20 GB range.
Trying not to waste money buying too much or too little. Any help will be appreciated -

Choice #1 = AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz vs 2.8 GHz $50 difference.

Choice #2 = 6GB RAM free or 8 GB RAM for $80

Choice #3 = Video card
512 Atheon 4350 $ free
512 NVidia G210 @ $20
1GB Radeon 5450 @ $50
1GB Radeon 4650 @ $70.

More about : customizing desktop

Best solution

February 15, 2010 3:22:07 PM

For the CPU:
-You didn't provide us with enough details.
-however I will assume you are talking about the Athlon IIx4 since the 620 model is at 2.6GHz and the 630 model is at 2.8GHz. They are both quad cores.
-Assuming that, I would say go for the 2.8GHz model. Even though it's not worth the $50 extra.

For the ram:
-6GB is more than enough

Video card:
-for your uses there is no point in spending more.
-however, unlike the CPU upgrade, each upgrade is actually worth it's extra price.
February 15, 2010 3:55:52 PM

Thanks - really appreciate the thoughts - your analysis of the 620 / 630 models was correct.
HP is upselling their "premium" n LAN card - Is that worth the $30 extra they add ? They are talking about dual channel etc - I would be using it on my my home network - though I am about due for a router upgrade.

Again thanks -

enzo matrix said:
For the CPU:
-You didn't provide us with enough details.
-however I will assume you are talking about the Athlon IIx4 since the 620 model is at 2.6GHz and the 630 model is at 2.8GHz. They are both quad cores.
-Assuming that, I would say go for the 2.8GHz model. Even though it's not worth the $50 extra.

For the ram:
-6GB is more than enough

Video card:
-for your uses there is no point in spending more.
-however, unlike the CPU upgrade, each upgrade is actually worth it's extra price.

m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2010 6:38:19 PM

Best answer selected by herbstan.
m
l
February 16, 2010 11:10:26 PM

You bolded "n" so I'm going to assume that the other network cards offered are not "n" and n is the only difference. If this is the case, you will only be able to utilize the high speed n if you have a wireless n router. If you don't it would be a waste so just keep with the wireless G unless you intend to be using a wireless n router at some point.
I'm sorry, I actually missed the "second life building" thing you mentioned. I'm unsure how graphics dependent it would be but as long as you meet the system requirements (or preferably exceed them a little), you should be fine.
m
l
February 16, 2010 11:52:08 PM

Here's a kick - after going through the process with HP Home - they get down to -"okay, it's almost on order - BUT we need to tell you Windows 7 Premium isn't backward compatible on any of your software not designed for Windows 7 - if you want Backward Compatability - you need to spring for another $75 and upgrade to Windows 7 Professional - BUT since I was ordering a quick ship - and that couldn't be upgraded, now they were going to build me custom unit that would now only cost the $75 and another $200 to $300 to match the original unit.

maybe I'm the only guy on the plantet that didn't get that memo - but I canceled the order while I think about that.

And the upselling was drawn out - we had to discuss whether I needed keybords, monitors, surge protection, extended warranty --- all of which I have or don't want -
man that was ~~~~~~ something -
m
l
!