Solution
The Core I9 isn't out yet, and the I7 is better than Phenom II overall (excluding gaming and ordinary computer use where they are equal or the PII takes the lead).

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009

Not necessarily. As you may know, AMD's Thuban comes out as well, so it is not yet certain that it will be the best CPU concerning raw power.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Last I checked, the 6core AMD vs the quad core i7s, the i7 was still beating the AMD chips in highly threaded apps like video editing, databases, web work loads, etc.

I would assume the 6 core i7 would beat the 6 core AMD if the 4 core i7 is still beating it.

Best part though is either chip is way OP for most current games and the AMD will be a lot cheaper *and* the AMD chip uses less power for the same amount of work. So even though the i7 may be slightly faster, the AMD does it with less heat/power and won't cost $1,000

milki654

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I was saying that the i7 980x ("i9") will cost around $1.000 not thuban. How did you checked thuban vs i7 if we only know few things about thuban? All we know is there are 45nm, will have some sort of turbo boost and the clocks (2.4 - 2.8 and another one stronger but the speed is unknown) and thats prety much it.

But yes the i7 980x will definitely beat thuban having 32nm, hyperthreading and higher clock speed (around 3.0GHz).

But thuban will most likely beat 4core i7 in single or two threaded applications due to its turbo (the only limit beeing is its TDP).

Kewlx25

Distinguished
"Kewlx25 wrote :

So even though the i7 may be slightly faster, the AMD does it with less heat/power and won't cost $1,000"

Slightly faster? Try 30% faster in Multithreaded apps.

I know at the top of my post I said the i7 is faster in highly threaded apps, but the bottom of my post I was talking about games. In games, the i7 doesn't have a whole lot of lead on AMD and some of that is because many times a game will get two threads schedule on the same core but different virtual cpus which obviously is less advantageous than scheduling two heavy threads on two different cores.

My A.D.D. doesn't help my writing, sorry for any confusion.. :-|

On a side note, Bad Company 2 actually locks itself down to one thread per core, so my i7 only shows activity on 4 of the 8 reported cpus. I'm assuming they check for hyper-threading

edit: also I was comparing the 6 core AMD to the 4 core i7, so the distance between them is a bit less.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

This is why I will never trust anything come from AMD fanboys.

Stop filling people's head's with Amd Fanboi Bullshit. Thuban has NO CHANCE against Gulftown
+1

imran_52

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

http://dailytech-iaz25th.blogspot.com/