Sign in with
Your question

Thuban vs Phenom II x4 955 / 955 & i5

Last response: in CPUs
February 15, 2010 2:48:23 PM

Hi, guys!

Thuban details released were with clock speeds ranging 2.4 - 2.8 GHz and prices $40 - $120 difference with the Phenom II x4 965 / 955 and i5.

Having to use programs that doesn't utilize all 6 cores, would you think the Phenom II x4 965 / 955, as well as the i5, still be more efficient and cost-wise than Thuban?

If Thuban really gets a TurboBoost-like feature, would it be worth it?

I'm building a rig good for multi.tasking as well as gaming.. Thought I was good with i5 but I think I have to wait until Thuban gets officially released on May 2010, as was predicted to be on mass production. Have to stick with $400 or so budget with processor-mobo combo.

More about : thuban phenom 955 955

a b à CPUs
February 15, 2010 4:38:06 PM

I don't think thuban will be worth the price unless you can utilize all those cores either through multi-core optimized programs or heavy multitasking. Its probably going to be hotter and use more power and I can't see the 'turbo' taking it much higher than the 965's 3.4 but hey who knows... anyone who can utilize the 6 cores is going to get superb price/performance. Gaming performance will probably be zilch for a while.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2010 6:31:04 AM

you would imagine the latest games would feature state of the art technology... at least that's what my expectations were 10 years ago. Hopefully crysis 6 will utilize 6 cores. ^^
!