Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Ram Really Help?

Last response: in Memory
June 17, 2010 11:17:25 PM

Hey everybody im just wondering if i upgrade my ram from 1gb to 3gb's will it have a noticable diffrence in gaming and everyday task? (surfing the web,email,forums) and in gaming what will it affect? just the loading times or will it give me better frame rates aswell?

More about : upgrading ram

a b } Memory
June 18, 2010 6:07:57 AM

It depends, upgrading your RAM from 1GB to 3GB may show a performance improvement but your computer performance may be limited by some other factor, possibly a CPU or a graphics card.
June 18, 2010 10:05:05 AM

Mithness said:
Hey everybody im just wondering if i upgrade my ram from 1gb to 3gb's will it have a noticable diffrence in gaming and everyday task? (surfing the web,email,forums) and in gaming what will it affect? just the loading times or will it give me better frame rates aswell?

I would say YES you will see a nice boost in performance on start up times, programs and games as well. :) 

As far as what RAM does is your computer everytime you turn it on it clean off the RAM allowing you to fill the RAM how you see fit, like say you turn on the computer and start playing a game well that game is on the Hard Drive and the hard drive is slow compared to the Hardware that is mounted to the motherboard and what the RAM does is place that games information from the hard drive into the RAM or what you would call as memory then the computer while loading the games information will take it from the RAM because the RAM is SO much FASTER and in the long run giving you a performance increase!

Now the reason your wanting more RAM is for the fact you want the computer to be able to store what ever and how ever much stuff it wants into your RAM and making those programs FASTER!!

Please follow the link down below if you would like to read for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory

I hope this helped you out. :) 
Related resources
a c 97 } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
June 18, 2010 4:48:27 PM

The sticky word is "noticeable".
I see no way that more ram would hurt.
If you normally do one thing at a time, then the difference would be minimal.
If your games need more than 1gb, then yes, there could be a big difference.
If you use XP, it was designed for smaller amounts of ram, and will use the hard drive to conserve ram.

If you use vista or windows-7, they are designed to take advantage of lots of ram.
If you do some multi tasking, then more ram is better. If you have e-mail open or get a virus scan while gaming, then you will notice the lack of ram.

Considering the lowish price of 2gb of ram, it is likely to be one of the most cost effective performance upgrades you can buy.
June 18, 2010 8:29:10 PM

oh thank you everyone and i have an amd athlon 3800+ i know it sucks im upgrading it this summer hopefully for some thing alot better thats not to expensive and i have a ati radeon hd 4350 (which is fine for me)
June 18, 2010 9:23:05 PM

So I would say yes it is worth upgrading your memory.
June 19, 2010 3:03:02 AM

I agree with everyone else. From 1 gig to 3 gig is definitely worth it. In fact, I just did this very upgrade 3 months ago.
June 19, 2010 1:23:55 PM

haha awesome (: thanks im going out today
!