February 15, 2010 2:57:00 PM

Hello,
what will happen to my computer if the power supply blows

More about : hapeen power supply blows

February 15, 2010 2:58:27 PM

What exactly do you mean by blows?
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2010 3:02:59 PM

Depends on alot of factors - could be anything from just the PSU going bad to it taking every component in the system with it. - or worst case taking the entire house along with it in the fire that breaks out as a result !!
Related resources
February 15, 2010 3:09:30 PM

If you mean breaks and something bad happens, I've never heard of a PSU catching fire ever, from personal experiance though I can tell you right now that I've had only my motherboard fry because of the PSU (I've never replaced the PSU so about every year or so it kills the motherboard and nothing else) other than that I'm not sure what other damages a PSU could do to a computer. Hope that helps a little.
February 15, 2010 3:51:14 PM

there's a lot of factors. The biggest factor is if a voltage spike is caused on a rail when it blows. A good power supply should keep your computer safe.

Each rail(power source) of a PSU should have a fast acting voltage and current(amp) sensor that should cut the power before any damage is done.

Also, each rail should have independent components, so only the devices on the rail that fails could/should possibly be affected.

Also, most good power supplies should have quite a few capacitor in line with the output power, so the still working capacitors should help soak some of the "burst" of power.

It mostly comes down to the quality of the PSU.
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 15, 2010 5:41:09 PM

Corsair has a video clip to show what can happen in a worst case scenario when a cheap, low budget, low quality power supply blows. It includes electrical fire and burning insulation on wires. If you are not at the computer when it happens it could be a disaster of epic proprotions.

I had my own chance to experience what could happen. Ultra was the first company to introduce modular power supplies. I decided to get one to see what it was like. When it arrived I connected it to a simple power supply tester. When I switched on the power supply there was a loud noise and a blue flash. It was an electrical explosion. It's a wonder the psu didn't fry me because I had my hand on the psu power switch when it happened.
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2010 10:39:40 PM

lol, i had the privelage to experience a blown PSU... took out my mobo and everything that was hooked to it. My 9550 was the first to die , my audigy 2zs soon followed and then the rams were next. Soon my mobo was swimming in hell with absurd reboots and abrupt shutdowns :) 

ah that was my first rig. learnt alot from that day.

You'll also get a whiff of burnt plastic, and some smoke if your lucky
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2010 11:22:12 PM

Lutfij said:
lol, i had the privelage to experience a blown PSU... took out my mobo and everything that was hooked to it. My 9550 was the first to die , my audigy 2zs soon followed and then the rams were next. Soon my mobo was swimming in hell with absurd reboots and abrupt shutdowns :) 

ah that was my first rig. learnt alot from that day.

You'll also get a whiff of burnt plastic, and some smoke if your lucky

Yep - Once you've experienced it you tend to always buy quality units that if anything are overpowered for your system from then on !!
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2010 11:24:22 PM

Amen to that bro!
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 17, 2010 12:45:33 PM

I have been lucky. I have never experienced a catastrophic failure. My PSU's that died just quietly expired.
February 18, 2010 6:55:19 AM

Mine died (I assume) by just not restarting the next time... turned off but didn't turn back on!
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2010 5:46:57 PM

What can happen....

Good Scenario-> Only the PSU died
Bad Scenario-> PSU and one random component die
Worst Scenario-> PSU and mutliple components die
Catastrophic Scenario-> Complete system replacement
February 15, 2012 9:36:51 AM

Hi
I recently finished building my computer.
The computer worked fine after a couple of mishaps which i solved. However the next day when i turned my computer on, it turned on for about half a second, then went dead. I tried restarting the computer but was followed by a big bang which came from the power supply. I was wondering whether this blowing up would affect the other parts of my computer. The power supply i have is Corsair TX 850W ATX2.31 80 PLUSĀ® Bronze certified Power Supply. I'm new to this sort of thing so help would be greatly appreciated.
!