Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclocking Ram on z77(gskill 2133)

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 22, 2012 7:16:57 PM

Hey guys. i had problems with some old RAM i had so i refunded it for some gskill 2133 RAM.. here is the RAM i bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for some reason, this RAM works great at anything at or below 1600 frequency.. but this RAM wont run at anything above this. I've tried everything from voltages, timings, and even the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages. nothing seems to work. What happens is after i save those settings the computer restarts screen is black, then restarts again and ends up resetting all my memory settings. my SPECS are as follows:

CPU: Intel core i5 3450
Motherboard: Biostar tz77a
Memory: GSkill 2133 2x4gb cas:11
Video Card: evga GTX260
Power Supply: Seasonic x750 Gold Certified 750watts
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB

i dont know what you need out of all of that, but there it is. any help is appreciated, thank you!
a b } Memory
May 30, 2012 7:10:17 PM

1600MHz is the highest non-OC speed that Ivy Bridge supports, thus why you can achieve that without a problem. Timings are already pretty loose and I would hesitate to go slower as I would be concerned with performance. The bennefit above 1600MHz is minimal in noticeable performance unless running benchmarks. Personally I wouldn't be worried about the speed but would rather tighten your timings, I would like to see 8-8-8-24, and maybe you can do that at 1600MHz wich to me would be a better trade off than 2133MHz, but that is my opinion.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 9:02:18 PM

Have you tried the XMP profile? That should get it to work correctly.

Even if it doesn't, 2133 RAM is basically pointless in real world usage. You would NEVER notice the difference between 1600 and 2133 in anything but benchmarks. Not even much real world difference between 1333 and 2133, honestly (you would probably notice the difference slightly, there, but it certainly wouldn't be as dramatic as it would seem to be).
m
0
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 7:10:47 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Have you tried the XMP profile? That should get it to work correctly.

Even if it doesn't, 2133 RAM is basically pointless in real world usage. You would NEVER notice the difference between 1600 and 2133 in anything but benchmarks. Not even much real world difference between 1333 and 2133, honestly (you would probably notice the difference slightly, there, but it certainly wouldn't be as dramatic as it would seem to be).

to tell the truth, i dont mind either.. but if something is wrong in the computer anyways, i want it fixed.. thats the whole reason im trying to figure it out.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 2:51:58 PM

It does make a difference in my opinion.
I have sandy bridge which people say brings no difference in fps comparing 1333mhz to 2133mhz. But i have mine at 2133mhz (Overclocked from 1866 mhz) and my cpu benchmarks went up by 6 percent especially in 3dmark i can see the physics score 2 fps faster which is a good 8 percent increase for me comparing to the 1333 mhz corsair i had. Also crysis can tell is a bit faster. My solution would be to RMA your ram because you seem to be doing everything correct and all the required troubleshooting and if you paid for such speeds then YOU SHOULD get those speeds.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 2:59:01 PM

aslator said:
It does make a difference in my opinion.
I have sandy bridge which people say brings no difference in fps comparing 1333mhz to 2133mhz. But i have mine at 2133mhz (Overclocked from 1866 mhz) and my cpu benchmarks went up by 6 percent especially in 3dmark i can see the physics score 2 fps faster which is a good 8 percent increase for me comparing to the 1333 mhz corsair i had.


Again, that basically amounts to nothing. Benchmark scores are obviously not real world, but yes, that is one of the FEW things in which you can actually see the difference. It means absolutely nothing, though.

And the better gaming performance is probably a placebo effect that you're convincing yourself that you "feel". I'm guessing that it may add a few FPS, but if you can tell that without actually Frapsing it, you're better than I. And load times shouldn't be affected by it much at all really.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 6:16:15 PM

If placebo effect makes me think im playing my games fluently, im all for it =).
But yeah it does not even add a "few" fps. I only noticed a 1-3fps increase in Crysis explosions and 1fps average increase. But for me that is quite pleasant although a very small difference, a difference nonetheless. I got those sticks on sale for about the same price of a 1600mhz so i cant complain about the price difference.

I just wouldn't recommend someone sticking with ram which doesn't run at the advertised speed even if it makes no difference.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 6:19:24 PM

aslator said:
I just wouldn't recommend someone sticking with ram which doesn't run at the advertised speed even if it makes no difference.


I don't really disagree with that, but I think this situation was probably down to the motherboard (Biostar :sarcastic:  ), more than the RAM itself.
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 6:26:38 PM

Could be..... But forgot to mention i also had that exact memory(for 1 week) and they didn't work on my mobo MSI p67a g45 at their advertised speed. Memtest would pass, But they would crash in random scenarios giving me BSOD. Switched over to the blue gskill ripjaws with lower cas (8) and loosed timings oced to 2133mhz and never had a bsod from that day on forward.
m
0
l
!