ONE last question

buzzforb

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
HOw would and unlocked/overclocked 555be compare to an i5-750 for htpc. THe amd route is about 150 cheaper, with everything else in the system the same. Is the overkill for an HTPC with some encoding?

AMD 655$

INtel 800$

Solution

You are correct... :)

tecmo34

Administrator
If you are going to do some encoding on an HTPC, I would look at the Athlon II X4 620 over unlocking the 555BE ( 1) no guarantee it will work... 2) increased heat in an HTPC case). You get four cores at stock and will be able to handle encoding, plus maintain the cheaper price over the Intel.

the L3 cache in the phenom IIs, although increasing performance, will also increase heat a lot. I agree with the x4, especially since you won't need that kind of power for an HTPC. Plus if you have no problem unlocking, I assume you have no problem overclocking the athlon IIx4 to 3.2GHz on stock cooling at stock voltage with very little change in idle/max temps.

buzzforb

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I believe the chances are pretty good that the 555 would unlock, that being said, it is somewhat of a gamble. Heat will not be an issue because the PC will be setup like a standard rig, located in my home office. I will stream content from it to my ps3 hooked up to my 1080 TV. I assume that in recommending the 620/630, you are saying that the i5 is overblown or in other words, it will not do a better job, just be faster at similar tasks.

tecmo34

Administrator

You are correct... :)

Solution