New high-brightness LCDs

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2004 5:59:53 AM

Toshiba has announced a 'TruBrite' LCD that claims to be more visible in
bright sunlight. Has anyone seen it? Any idea if it's similar to
Sony/VAIO's XBrite?

More about : high brightness lcds

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2004 12:42:19 PM

Or possibly the same technology as IBM's FlexView?

"_Geo" <_Geo@rge.com> wrote in message
> Toshiba has announced a 'TruBrite' LCD that claims to be more visible in
> bright sunlight. Has anyone seen it? Any idea if it's similar to
> Sony/VAIO's XBrite?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2004 3:48:05 PM

_Geo wrote:
> Toshiba has announced a 'TruBrite' LCD that claims to be more visible
> in bright sunlight. Has anyone seen it? Any idea if it's similar to
> Sony/VAIO's XBrite?

I do not believe that any laptop vendor makes their own LCD panels.
Most are made by suppliers like Sharp, Samsung, etc. The vendors can
establish a trademark for their use of an LCD, which is what I believe
that XBrite represents, much like Sony's "iLink" for common IEEE 1394
Firewire. These high luminosity, high contrast LCDs are the new
generation of LCDs and, as typical, will be in most LCD applications as
the price drops. For Toshiba, IBM, Sony, giving their screen a name is
just marketing. Yes, the screens are probably the same technology.

a b D Laptop
July 2, 2004 5:34:56 AM

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:48:05 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>_Geo wrote:
>> Toshiba has announced a 'TruBrite' LCD that claims to be more visible
>> in bright sunlight. Has anyone seen it? Any idea if it's similar to
>> Sony/VAIO's XBrite?
>
>I do not believe that any laptop vendor makes their own LCD panels.
>Most are made by suppliers like Sharp, Samsung, etc. The vendors can
>establish a trademark for their use of an LCD, which is what I believe
>that XBrite represents, much like Sony's "iLink" for common IEEE 1394
>Firewire. These high luminosity, high contrast LCDs are the new
>generation of LCDs and, as typical, will be in most LCD applications as
>the price drops. For Toshiba, IBM, Sony, giving their screen a name is
>just marketing. Yes, the screens are probably the same technology.

I've heard that Fujitsu may be making their own LCDs, but yes, I agree
with your comment about 3rd party manufacturers. I guess my question
is re how many manufacturers are making 'High Brightness' panels.

I have heard that Toshiba's LCDs and Sony's LCDs are different, but have
not seen the Toshiba yet.

By the way, the Sony A170 systems that I've looked at seem to respond a
bit slower than others with equivalent CPU power. Perhaps it's the
incredible screen resolution (1920x1200). Lots of pixels to move.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2004 10:02:43 PM

_Geo wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:48:05 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
> wrote:
>
>> _Geo wrote:
>>> Toshiba has announced a 'TruBrite' LCD that claims to be more
>>> visible in bright sunlight. Has anyone seen it? Any idea if it's
>>> similar to Sony/VAIO's XBrite?
>>
>> I do not believe that any laptop vendor makes their own LCD panels.
>> Most are made by suppliers like Sharp, Samsung, etc. The vendors can
>> establish a trademark for their use of an LCD, which is what I
>> believe that XBrite represents, much like Sony's "iLink" for common
>> IEEE 1394 Firewire. These high luminosity, high contrast LCDs are
>> the new generation of LCDs and, as typical, will be in most LCD
>> applications as the price drops. For Toshiba, IBM, Sony, giving
>> their screen a name is just marketing. Yes, the screens are
>> probably the same technology.
>
> I've heard that Fujitsu may be making their own LCDs, but yes, I agree
> with your comment about 3rd party manufacturers. I guess my question
> is re how many manufacturers are making 'High Brightness' panels.
>
> I have heard that Toshiba's LCDs and Sony's LCDs are different, but
> have not seen the Toshiba yet.
>
> By the way, the Sony A170 systems that I've looked at seem to respond
> a bit slower than others with equivalent CPU power. Perhaps it's the
> incredible screen resolution (1920x1200). Lots of pixels to move.

Just today, there are reports that a significant price drop in LCD
screens and monitors is expected - on the order of 25% or more for
screens of 17 inches or less. There is a glut of LCD monitors,
apparently.

a b D Laptop
July 2, 2004 10:12:26 PM

_Geo wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:48:05 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
> wrote:
>
>> _Geo wrote:
>>> Toshiba has announced a 'TruBrite' LCD that claims to be more
>>> visible in bright sunlight. Has anyone seen it? Any idea if it's
>>> similar to Sony/VAIO's XBrite?
>>
>> I do not believe that any laptop vendor makes their own LCD panels.
>> Most are made by suppliers like Sharp, Samsung, etc. The vendors can
>> establish a trademark for their use of an LCD, which is what I
>> believe that XBrite represents, much like Sony's "iLink" for common
>> IEEE 1394 Firewire. These high luminosity, high contrast LCDs are
>> the new generation of LCDs and, as typical, will be in most LCD
>> applications as the price drops. For Toshiba, IBM, Sony, giving
>> their screen a name is just marketing. Yes, the screens are
>> probably the same technology.
>
> I've heard that Fujitsu may be making their own LCDs, but yes, I agree
> with your comment about 3rd party manufacturers. I guess my question
> is re how many manufacturers are making 'High Brightness' panels.
>
> I have heard that Toshiba's LCDs and Sony's LCDs are different, but
> have not seen the Toshiba yet.
>
> By the way, the Sony A170 systems that I've looked at seem to respond
> a bit slower than others with equivalent CPU power. Perhaps it's the
> incredible screen resolution (1920x1200). Lots of pixels to move.

On paper, the A series should be extremely responsive. It has the M735
CPU, Radeon 9700 video. OTOH, the way Sony piles on the autostart
applications (if mine is any example!), particularly A/V stuff, that
alone could explain any responsiveness problems. Practically all
software they bundle will be set to run at startup, if there is a system
tray icon available.

a b D Laptop
July 3, 2004 10:16:57 AM

> I do not believe that any laptop
> vendor makes their own LCD panels.

Incorrect. There are at least 4 who
do: Samsung, Fujitsu, Panasonic and
Sharp (the latter two belong to the
same holding company -- Matsushita
-- and share its LCD technology.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2004 2:19:32 PM

Am Samstag, 3. Juli 2004 02:02 schrieb Quaoar:

> Just today, there are reports that a significant price drop in LCD
> screens and monitors is expected - on the order of 25% or more for
> screens of 17 inches or less. There is a glut of LCD monitors,
> apparently.

Thank you for the news, that's very nice reading.

Any special URL or other source where I could learn more about this?

Thanks
Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 06:16:57 GMT, "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Incorrect. There are at least 4 who
>do: Samsung, Fujitsu, Panasonic and
>Sharp (the latter two belong to the
>same holding company -- Matsushita
>-- and share its LCD technology.

And I don't know if they still do now that they're outsourcing, but
IBM and Toshiba used to own a plant, iirc.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2004 10:17:12 PM

:>"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
:>news:qeudnZlDTZDF03ndRVn-tA@comcast.com...
:>>
:>> I do not believe that any laptop
:>> vendor makes their own LCD panels.
:>
:>
:>Incorrect. There are at least 4 who
:>do: Samsung, Fujitsu, Panasonic and
:>Sharp (the latter two belong to the
:>same holding company -- Matsushita
:>-- and share its LCD technology.
:>
:>
:>
:>dk
:>

In addition I don't believe there is any laptop manufacturer that "single
sources" only their own lcd panels. I know Toshiba uses panels built by
Toshiba, Samsung, Sharp, NEC, IBM, LG Phillips, Chimei, Hannstar, Hitachi
and more, quite often on the same model of laptop. I'm sure this is true
for other vendors too. Single sourcing generic items like display panels,
hard drives, optical drives, floppy drives, keyboards, etc could kill a
company if that single source couldn't deliver parts on time for any reason.

me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2004 3:11:03 AM

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 3. Juli 2004 02:02 schrieb Quaoar:
>
>> Just today, there are reports that a significant price drop in LCD
>> screens and monitors is expected - on the order of 25% or more for
>> screens of 17 inches or less. There is a glut of LCD monitors,
>> apparently.
>
> Thank you for the news, that's very nice reading.
>
> Any special URL or other source where I could learn more about this?
>
> Thanks
> Karl-Heinz

Try Yahoo News. Either or both theregister.com.uk and theinquirer.com,
also. 2 July. Well, my memory is faulty about the exact date, perhaps
as early as 30 June. This is significant business news, so any of the
larger tech/business sites will probably have the information also.