Need help installing new graphics card

afew88

Honorable
May 16, 2012
i just got a "SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card ( 11202-00-20G)"
i threw it in, hooked it up, ran the CD it came with, installed....then realized i had to uninstall the original one.
i've tried installing it again and restarting, but it's not working. any advice to help me out would be great.

Solution
what happend was a few years ago nvidia made a few mb chipset that were bad copies of intel chipset back then. they were cheaper then intel and had gaming gpu in them like your has the 7100. the problem is the nvidia chipset is not as good as the old intel chipset back then where you could put any video card in your old hpp or dell and as long as you did not fry the power supply putting in a bigger card all you had to worry about was finding a low profile card. your system just needs an nvidia card of the same power as the ati one. then install the new 29x drivers and reboot. on reboot you have the 7100 and the new card showing up in device manager. all you need to do is power down...and swap the video cable to the new card. when you...
"....then realized i had to uninstall the original one.

Do you mean to say you had an NVIDIA card, and now your installing an AMD card?

If so....

Reboot your computer (with your new card in)...tap F8 until Safe mode appears - and run in safe mode. Once done uninstall the old NVIDIA graphics drivers - reboot again. Now you should be able to install your graphics drivers.

If that doesn't work....please list all of your specifications. PSU, Motherboard, etc.

afew88

Honorable
May 16, 2012
please try to bear with me, this isnt really my type of thing, just trying to wing it.
i dont remember what exact graphic card i had before, but it was nvidia geforce something. integrated graphics or something, but i opened up my PC, put the graphics card into the slot on the motherboard, put PC back together, put the adaptor it came with on the monitor plug, hooked everything back up, started back up, ran the CD it came with, it ran a quick install wizard. said everything was completed, i checked and it still said the nvidia was my graphics chip (dxdiag) so i downloaded driver cleaner pro, started computer in safe mode, ran driver cleaner, rebooted, now it says my graphics Card name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. not sure what to do from here

afew88

Honorable
May 16, 2012
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/22/2012, 17:04:30
Machine name: ALEX-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120402-0336)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: FK792AA-ABA a6600f
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2940MB RAM
Page File: 1540MB used, 6308MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer: (Standard display types)
Chip type: NVIDIA
DAC type: 8 bit
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07E1&SUBSYS_2A64103C&REV_A2
Display Memory: n/a
Dedicated Memory: n/a
Shared Memory: n/a
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (1Hz)
Monitor: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
Driver Name: vga
Driver Version: 6.00.6001.18000 (English)
DDI Version: unknown
BGRA Supported: No
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 1/20/2008 22:49:51, 14848 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-44A1-11CF-DC35-151D0DC2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x07E1
SubSys ID: 0x2A64103C
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Not Available

Ok. First off is this your exact computer?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3793920&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3793920&objectID=c01527396

Is the graphics card plugged into the black slot? That's the PCI express slot (where it should be). I'm sure you got it right though.

I'm not exactly sure....but IDK if your power supply can handle that graphics card. It looks like you have a 250W PSU.

Since you have an integrated video card - I believe those drivers should be fine.

So you should go to www.amd.com and on the top right corner and select find a driver - I believe you have Vista 32bit - but you should be able to use "auto detect".

Once done downloading, install the driver.

Also make sure your LCD's screen is connected to your graphics card, and not your onboard video (number 3 in the I/O ports of the link above), the little blue connector.

afew88

Honorable
May 16, 2012
yes that's my computer, graphics card is in the black slot, @ amd i just get "we were unable to find your product or os" and yes my screen is connected to graphics card.

Strange. Ok. Maybe you need the drivers off the Sapphire website:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/downloads/?pid=1501&psn=0006&lid=1&os=3

Near the bottom of the page select the + for graphic card driver and download the Catalyst control software 12.4 110MB

Although the AMD drivers should work fine.

I was reading about your computer and it mentions it should automatically be switching to your new graphics card once you plug it in - however you might need to enable it in the BIOS.

Hit either F1 or F10 at restart and enter your BIOS -

Check the "Advanced" tab to see if there is a "graphics" option - it might say either PEG SLOT or "onboard" - and make sure it's on the "Peg" slot option.

ati video cards wont work in your system im sorry to say would have posted this sooner in your other help posting if your mb info was posted. the problem is that the mb has built in nvidia chipset. if it had the intel chipset and video the ati card would have worked without an issue. you want to use another nvidia card. unless there a jumper to turn off the onboard video..would be on the mb..check the case panel sometimes they show the mb layout and jumpers if there is one.

what happend was a few years ago nvidia made a few mb chipset that were bad copies of intel chipset back then. they were cheaper then intel and had gaming gpu in them like your has the 7100. the problem is the nvidia chipset is not as good as the old intel chipset back then where you could put any video card in your old hpp or dell and as long as you did not fry the power supply putting in a bigger card all you had to worry about was finding a low profile card. your system just needs an nvidia card of the same power as the ati one. then install the new 29x drivers and reboot. on reboot you have the 7100 and the new card showing up in device manager. all you need to do is power down...and swap the video cable to the new card. when you power it up the new card should be monitor one. you can then go into window device mander and disable the 7100 video card.

Solution