Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA-MA790X-UD4P has an unusually long boot time

Last response: in Motherboards
June 18, 2010 12:48:07 AM

I recently installed some parts from my friend's old rig into mine, including a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard, an AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition (OC'd to 3.5 GHz), and 8GB of OCZ DDR2-800. After setting everything up, I noticed that the only problem present was that, when booting up, the computer would stay on the Windows 7 splash screen for upwards of a minute before the actual Windows logo animation came in. Another friend of mine advised me to change the SATA port that the system drive is connected to (which I will try tomorrow), and I also made sure that the system drive was the first boot device. I'm not entirely sure that the motherboard is to blame, but I figured it would be a good place to start.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 18, 2010 3:03:47 AM

If you swiched MOBOs using an existing windoze install, you're frankly lucky it boots at all! Try going to the repair console, and doing a repair install - will 'freshen up' and get the correct drivers put in... Also, likely want to 'bump' the DDR2 voltage a tenth or a tenth and a half to accommodate 4 DIMMs.
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:21:28 AM

bilbat said:
If you swiched MOBOs using an existing windoze install, you're frankly lucky it boots at all! Try going to the repair console, and doing a repair install - will 'freshen up' and get the correct drivers put in... Also, likely want to 'bump' the DDR2 voltage a tenth or a tenth and a half to accommodate 4 DIMMs.

I tried to perform a repair install, but I got an odd message telling me that I couldn't perform an upgrade installation from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version or vice-versa. However, I made sure to select the 64-bit version, and I currently have the 64-bit version installed.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 224 V Motherboard
June 18, 2010 3:19:12 PM

OK. First, you need to verify what version of Windows you have installed on the harddrive that seems to boot slowly. Once it boots, go into the control panel/system to verify. Also while you are there, look the device manager to see if all of your drivers are good to go. If not, update/install them.

I am also sure you will need to reactivate the system due to the change in hardware. If you have a retail version this will be easier. If you have an OEM version, it may also work, but you will have to call in (most likely) to re-activate.

After doing these things, check the boot cycle and see if it improves. If not, go through the repair process.

Good luck!
!