GA-MA790X-UD4P has an unusually long boot time

TheCaffeinatedOne

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I recently installed some parts from my friend's old rig into mine, including a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard, an AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition (OC'd to 3.5 GHz), and 8GB of OCZ DDR2-800. After setting everything up, I noticed that the only problem present was that, when booting up, the computer would stay on the Windows 7 splash screen for upwards of a minute before the actual Windows logo animation came in. Another friend of mine advised me to change the SATA port that the system drive is connected to (which I will try tomorrow), and I also made sure that the system drive was the first boot device. I'm not entirely sure that the motherboard is to blame, but I figured it would be a good place to start.

Solution
OK. First, you need to verify what version of Windows you have installed on the harddrive that seems to boot slowly. Once it boots, go into the control panel/system to verify. Also while you are there, look the device manager to see if all of your drivers are good to go. If not, update/install them.

I am also sure you will need to reactivate the system due to the change in hardware. If you have a retail version this will be easier. If you have an OEM version, it may also work, but you will have to call in (most likely) to re-activate.

After doing these things, check the boot cycle and see if it improves. If not, go through the repair process.

Good luck!

bilbat

Splendid
If you swiched MOBOs using an existing windoze install, you're frankly lucky it boots at all! Try going to the repair console, and doing a repair install - will 'freshen up' and get the correct drivers put in... Also, likely want to 'bump' the DDR2 voltage a tenth or a tenth and a half to accommodate 4 DIMMs.

TheCaffeinatedOne

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

I tried to perform a repair install, but I got an odd message telling me that I couldn't perform an upgrade installation from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version or vice-versa. However, I made sure to select the 64-bit version, and I currently have the 64-bit version installed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK. First, you need to verify what version of Windows you have installed on the harddrive that seems to boot slowly. Once it boots, go into the control panel/system to verify. Also while you are there, look the device manager to see if all of your drivers are good to go. If not, update/install them.

I am also sure you will need to reactivate the system due to the change in hardware. If you have a retail version this will be easier. If you have an OEM version, it may also work, but you will have to call in (most likely) to re-activate.

After doing these things, check the boot cycle and see if it improves. If not, go through the repair process.

Good luck!

Solution