logical

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hello, what would be the best cooler as far as quiet and performance goes, I'm open to a liquid and ai solution as long as it's under £80. I like the look of a Corsair H100 with a push pull config using 3rd party fans (maybe the NZXT FN-120RB or Akasa Viper). Any suggestions will be great, size isn't too much of an issue I use a 600t so I got room... Only criteria is fits 1155 and runs quiet and cool.

May overclock my i7 2700k when I get it not too much just a modest increase.

Thanks!

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I run the 2700K and H100 using the 2 INCLUDED fans....they move 76cfm and I also use two rosewill 120mm RED led fans that move approximately the same...76cfm is MORE than plenty on the H100 in a Push/Pull config...

My temps are ridiculous....the machine idles at 30-31C...and max on load ever using INTEL BURN TEST....the heaviest cpu load app available...and my temps average out at a max of 49-51C after hours and hours of stress testing.

I use a BlackHawk Ultra Super Tower case and have a Plethora of fans...13 or 14 case fans...ALL as INTAKE...Except the H100 and it's 4 push pull fans blowing out the top!

the motherboard temp never exceeds 31C ever

So yes I believe you can do just fine with the H100 and it's extremely quiet...I never hear much more than a whisper.

Hope that helps Friend....:)

logical

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Great! Would you recommend those fans in terms of quiet and performance?

Thanks! :na:

logical

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Can you post a link to the review or PM me a link?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Corsair H-units aren't even close when considering liquid/watercooling when compared to actual watercooling. This is a very common misunderstanding for people considering them as coolers or hold them to higher expectations than a good air cooler.

logical

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I know that, but considering the block alone is pretty close in price to the whole unit, just seems a good cheaper option, I would LOVE to have my own custom water cooling but it is just way too expensive, if you can find or know of a place I can get a custom kit for under £80 then please tell me, I think it looks so much better.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
You can't get a custom kit that cheap. Bottom of the line custom kits are £100+.

I'd recommend the Thermaltake Silver Arrow or Noctua NH-D14. Both are cheaper than the H100, both are quieter than the H100 and both cool to within 1 degree of the H100.

In fact, you need to run the H100 at max to get the same cooling performance as those two air coolers. At those settings, it's MUCH louder. The H100 can't be set low enough to be quieter than those coolers either.

No question, skip the H100.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I know that, but considering the block alone is pretty close in price to the whole unit, just seems a good cheaper option

This is one of those 'too good to be true' scenarios. Just because it's cheap and mimics something more expensive and better, it doesn't mean it performs in the same ball park. My suggestion is to save up for a real watercooling loop or just go with a good performing air cooler at a decent price.

+1 ;)

logical

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I do like the Be Quiet Dark Rock PRO cooler, think it looks cool and seems to perform well, I also think the Coolermaster V10 Hybrid could have potential...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The Rasa kits are actually quite good. Though you really want the RX 240. Its radiator is better than the RS, and it's got twice as much area to dissipate.

However! If you just want low buy-in cost and can upgrade later, you can go ahead with the RS 120 and upgrade as you go. That's the great thing about custom loops, even if you buy them as a kit.

Upgrading to a better radiator may require a better pump as well, I'm not familiar enough with the Rasa line to know. But still, it's not a bad deal. They come with one of the better water blocks available. Not the best, but a really good one. You'll get way better performance out of a Rasa than you will any closed loop.

What do ya mean "might," you mean, HE HAS TO CHECK IT OUT! Read it because it will teach you everything you need to know about watercooling, it's very well detailed and you will learn about this stuff! :love:

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
To answer those who are spouting the line that the H100 isn't true water cooling....not everybody's a techno geek with unlimited budgets...certainly not logiCAL with his budget of L80 or about $100-$120...and to say that those fans are loud is false as can be, Loud compared to what?

I'm sitting right beside my case and ALL I hear is a whisper....and YES my H100 IS on the highest setting at all times... As a matter of FACT...when I spool up my 6970 to 75%...that fan can be heard downstairs or through walls and that IS a fact.

I prefer to have the maximum ability to cool ON at all times...I can't hear it so why not?

I've actually used both the H50, and the H100...I have the purchase orders from newegg...I had a zalman nickel plated Max air cooler...paid a ton for it (from newegg as well and yes I have the purchase order) and it IN NO WAY COULD COOL an I7 960 in a ANTEC 1200 with massive airflow...I would start Intel Burn Test and within 40 seconds...the temps were climbing past 80C and within 2 minutes it was passing 90C and I allowed it to go all the way to 99C and still headed North...I shut it down after that...That ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED was $75 plus shipping...and rated as a top performer and approved as Maximum PC's KickAss award and a 9 rating...and I'd used several zalman aircoolers prior to that one with very nice results...in fact I've only ever owned two Corsair Kits...a H50 for above and the H100 in my current build

When I ordered the Corsair H50 and installed it in the rig above...my temps stopped at 70C under intel burn test...for hours and hours...YOU CANNOT TELL ME IT DOESN'T WORK and that it's NOT true water cooling....it DOES work.

The H100 I'm using now is absolutely OUTSTANDING...in all respects.

I'm using the H100 right now... at idle..that 2700K IS idling at 25C....3C BELOW my motherboard temperature.

If I go to Intel Burn Test...I can run it for hours(10 hours is the longest I have done so) and it never exceeds 71C at 4.6-5.2GHz for the absolute top Intel Cpu for Sandy Bridge...and I still CAN'T HEAR IT....so why hammer on the H100 that it is extremely LOUD or that it's not true water cooling!!!

To voice ones opinion or what is working for you on this forum is just fine...to run down other hardware to eschew that YOUR PREFERRED HARDWARE is the only PURE way to achieve true water cooling is wrong...the member asked for a cooling system that worked AND fit his budget with reasonable quietness...NOT what was "in your opinion" A REAL WATER COOLING KIT out there.

I answered logiCAL with what I knew to be true and with what I'm currently using and how it performs for me...I did NOT answer him with prejudiced statements or an answer that slams somebody elses assessment or rig.

I agree that the kits mentioned...The Rasa kits and the others... ARE excellent kits but at a price that I find way outside what is required..$175-$350 bucks isn't my idea of a bargain...plus the headache of installing these kits...they are a major pain...never mind the amount of required ongoing maintenance they must have to keep them at optimal flow rates and cooling efficiency...and the chance of a leak is greatly increased...non-conductive coolant or no!

That's my preference as to not use one of them...that's why I told the guy exactly what "MY" experiences were with what I HAD used...and what I liked and Why I chose what I did.

I stand by what I posted the First time...for the money the H100 IS an absolutely decent "water cooling" option that eliminates a lot of guess work...simplifies the assembly and installation and performs Excellently for the money spent! It is also very quiet.
Here's the link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

Read the noise level of the fans...22-39dBA..which doesn't exactly blow ones ear drums out! Like I said...I can't even hear it with FOUR fans on it...Here's you a review with sound pressure, push/pull configs and ACTUAL READINGS in the graphs

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/07/26/corsair_h100_extreme_perf_liquid_cpu_cooler_review/3

Here's another with a "certified" sound pressure gun and a chart to describe what dBA's are in the Real-World.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-h100-review/8

As for if it's a "water cooler" it's found under the header here...
Home > Computer Hardware > Fans & Heatsinks > Water / Liquid Cooling > Corsair > Item#: N82E16835181017

Nothing I have said is untrue and it seems that a lot of people who ACTUALLY purchased these...about 82% out of 477 purchases really liked their purchase and the way it performed with a rating of 4-5 stars...

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I'm not trying to bite ANYBODY elses head off here...I was just trying to stay within his budget and meet his stated needs with a reliable...cost effective...cooler that was reasonably quiet.

I appreciate the water cooling folks a lot and how they build their cooling circuits with all the components that are awesome...but oh my goodness..it's VERY EXPENSIVE to go that route...and this guy didn't have a budget anywhere near what is needed to install one of the Excellent water cooling kits you guys mentioned...they ARE very effective and fairly safe...accidents happen to the best of us.

With that said...I actually owned what I was suggesting and my experiences were true and what I know to be factual. That's why I suggested what I did...and...it met his budget very nicely.

So I wasn't trying to step on anybody elses toes here and I apologize... if I did...all I was trying to do was offer a budget minded option that I had personal experience with.

First off all calm down nobody said what you have experience with the H series is false and others are entitled to opinions and their own experience with the Consair H series it's not loud to you to others it is pretty much everything you said is from your own experience and others have had different experience the fact of the matter is a very common misunderstanding for people is that the H series can perform better than heat sinks the Thermaltake Silver Arrow or Noctua NH-D14. Both are cheaper than the H100, both are quieter than the H100 and both cool to within 1 degree of the H100.As far as price vs performance goes there are better options and that is the facts and truth. Also,i am going to quote you you said If I go to Intel Burn Test...I can run it for hours(10 hours is the longest I have done so) and it never exceeds 71C at 4.6-5.2GHz for the absolute top Intel Cpu for Sandy Bridge...and I still CAN'T HEAR IT....so why hammer on the H100 that it is extremely LOUD or that it's not true water cooling!!!
Enough is enough already i flat out don't believe you and call BS 5.2ghz running intelburntest for even 100 runs would exceed 71C on the H-100 look nobody said the H-100 doesn't perform well what we said was it's no better than top of the line heat sinks which are cheaper i apologize if i offended you but please... don't start making up stuff and telling stories like that if I go to Intel Burn Test...I can run it for hours(10 hours is the longest I have done so) and it never exceeds 71C at 5.2GHz for the absolute top Intel Cpu for Sandy Bridge...and I still CAN'T HEAR IT.... 4.6ghz i believe that but 5.2ghz :sarcastic: totally bs just quit it! .

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you are strictly considering budget and performance, the Corsair units are far and away a pointless investment compared to air cooling solutions that perform on-par for less money.

This is the main point we've all been trying to make. You either choose a good air cooler that will provide the same cooling ability based on logic, you buy a LCS Corsair/Antec unit to say you 'watercool' but don't get any better results than air cooling, or you step up into actual watercooling.

I agree that the kits mentioned...The Rasa kits and the others... ARE excellent kits but at a price that I find way outside what is required..$175-$350 bucks isn't my idea of a bargain...plus the headache of installing these kits...they are a major pain...never mind the amount of required ongoing maintenance they must have to keep them at optimal flow rates and cooling efficiency...and the chance of a leak is greatly increased...non-conductive coolant or no!

It's misguided misconceptions like these as to why so many people don't understand watercooling in the first place. A Rasa 240 RS kit starts at about $20 more than your H100 and will beat it hands down any day of the week. I'm not sure where you are shopping, but entry level watercooling kits do not start at $175.

XSPC Rasa 240 for $129

I will also debate that the air cooling comparison you stated in your rant is likely also flawed either by a malfunctioning cooler or incorrect installation.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Compared to the coolers we compared it against?

Look, I get it. You got an H100 and you like it. You're mad that we don't also like it. But the fact remains, the H100 is inferior to top of the line air coolers while costing more. Nobody said it isn't a decent cooler, we simply said there are better coolers that cost less, like the Silver Arrow and NH-D14.

Here's you a review with sound pressure, push/pull configs and ACTUAL READINGS in the graphs
And "here's you a review" with noise levels and cooling performance compared to the Silver Arrow, one of the coolers we recommended.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed/5

Notice how the H100 only beats the Silver Arrow by 1.2 degrees when on max, and 1 degree when on medium, which is basically just bumping into limitations of any cooling system that's not sub-ambient. Looking at the overclocked results when such a limitation isn't present, the H100's lead expands to 1.3 degrees on max, only ties it on medium.

Now look at this noise chart.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed/6

Notice how the Silver Arrow is significantly quieter than the H100 unless you set the H100 to its lowest setting. The Silver Arrow is a whopping 4.6c cooler than the H100 on low, and the H100's lead in noise is only 1.3 dB. On medium it's 5 dB louder (which only tied the Silver Arrow in cooling), and remember dB is a logarithmic scale, 5 dB is not a small difference. On max, the only setting that beat the Silver Arrow in cooling, it's an astounding 9.3 dB louder. That's nearly ten times as loud.

I stand by my statement. The H100 is louder and more expensive than top of the line air coolers and can only outperform them when it's producing much more noise. Nearly ten times as much noise, to be precise.

Plus the Rasa kit allows MUCH more expandability!!!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This is true and more-so depending on if you get one of the pump upgrade kits, but that's a completely different conversation and best left to the decision by the OP on what their route will be. Sounds unlikely that the budget exists for an actual watercooling loop at this time.