Sign in with
Your question

Best graphics card thats affordable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2009 4:04:49 PM

I'm looking into graphics cards and i was wondering if any of you could recommend any particular one for me that could play GTA 4 and games like that, around the price of 200 dollars. thank you!

More about : graphics card affordable

December 6, 2009 4:18:44 PM

^ what he said. My vote, personally, is an ATI 4890. 200 bucks will get you one. Sometimes you can find them cheaper with rebates on Newegg.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2009 4:19:41 PM

yes i believe it did. kind of. i looked at some of the prices on there, and they tell me the specs, but i'm computer retarded. i have no idea if they'll be able to play the games i want them to.
m
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 4:22:20 PM

To sum it up the suggestions you are going to get in the $200 range is HD4870/90 HD5770 and GTX260. For me to pick one of them and tell you to buy that would only be my personal opinion.
m
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 4:24:35 PM

tnason123 said:
yes i believe it did. kind of. i looked at some of the prices on there, and they tell me the specs, but i'm computer retarded. i have no idea if they'll be able to play the games i want them to.

You should post your system specs (cpu,ram,motherboard and psu) it makes it easier for us to help you.
m
l
December 6, 2009 4:25:41 PM

well your probably alot more computer literate than i am. i need ideas on what i should get. i just wanna know if the stupid thing will be able to play next gen games. lol
m
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 4:27:12 PM

tnason123 said:
well your probably alot more computer literate than i am. i need ideas on what i should get. i just wanna know if the stupid thing will be able to play next gen games. lol

It is a balance between cpu and gpu, specs are important.
m
l
December 6, 2009 4:27:51 PM

I have a 7900 gs graphics card, 3 gb of ram, a biostar motherboard, pentium D duo processors 2.80 ghz. anything else you need? i think thats all i know lol
m
l
December 6, 2009 5:09:53 PM

Ugh... Pentium D? You poor thing... since then people have switched to Core 2 Duo... then those people switched to quad core processors... and those people went ahead and upgraded to i5s and i7s... and there you are... way at the back with your Pentium D. Not much life left in that old girl.
m
l
a c 263 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 5:12:13 PM

That Pentium D is going to cripple anything high end.
m
l
December 6, 2009 5:37:37 PM

well... thats freakin annoying. the guy who built the pc for me, said that pentium d was the best of the best.. how much do you think itll be for the i7s?
m
l
December 6, 2009 5:45:24 PM

When did you build that computer?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 5:55:01 PM

Yeah, especially for GTA IV that CPU is no good. It's theoretically possible your motherboard can handle core2duos so give us the model #.
If you don't know it use this program
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
and tell us the model under the mainboard tab.
m
l
December 6, 2009 6:01:48 PM

its a custom built pc. it has no model number. and i just had it built for me 3 weeks ago. the mainboard # is p4m900 m7 fe
m
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 6:21:31 PM

tnason123 said:
its a custom built pc. it has no model number. and i just had it built for me 3 weeks ago. the mainboard # is p4m900 m7 fe

You have just been had! How much did you pay for it?
m
l
December 6, 2009 6:25:54 PM

350. thats so gay. i'm just gonna buy a 360 and be done with it lol. sell this on ebay or something.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 6:28:17 PM

Well, the good news is that motherboard can support core2duos(x2 at least, not x4) the bad new is you got totally ripped off if that was built for you 3 weeks ago. I hesitate to even ask what you were charged. As rodney pointed out that chip is ancient by today's standards. It WAS top of the line... in 2005. That 7900 gs is also current circa 2005. I really doubt this computer was "custom built" for you. You likely got sold an old computer as a new one and you should demand your money back as soon as possible.
m
l
December 6, 2009 6:30:15 PM

i would. but the dude turned off his phone so i can't contact him. trust me, i've tried to get the money back.
m
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 6:30:25 PM

tnason123 said:
350. thats so gay. i'm just gonna buy a 360 and be done with it lol. sell this on ebay or something.

You will be lucky to get 350 for it an ebay. Can you go back to the guy and ask what he means with that CPU and mobo? Or have him refund you at least those items. There is plenty of modern motherboard cpu combinations that would work for your memory around 150 - 200dollars on newegg.
m
l
December 6, 2009 6:31:56 PM

the worst part is, it plays SOME next gen games. but not the ones i WANT to play
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 6:36:55 PM

If getting your money back isn't an option then you can get a dual core core2duo and something like an HD4670 for about $100. That will allow you to play current games decently at low resolutions. For another hundred you can get a new motherboard as well and a quadcore Athlon II instead and your computer will be reasonably current.
m
l
December 6, 2009 6:51:41 PM

4890... you can find some at 160$ after MIR... cheaper than the newest DX11 5700 series and 20% stronger.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 7:01:20 PM

He has a Pentium D. Try reading the whole thread before posting.
m
l
December 6, 2009 7:04:38 PM

Did you bought this on ebay? If you did, you need to call your credit card company and ask for a refund. They will deal with the rest. There is a close that prevents these kind of scams if the goods don't provide the claims of the seller.

If the guy don't answer the phone, go pay him a visit. Don't count on the police for these kind of scam and forget small claims court... a money pit as well...

I got ripped off on ebay while buying an Athlon 64 FX... the guy never send anything and forced me to pay via Western Union... it was in 2002 when Paypal was not really popular and ebay policies was crap... not that different from today, but at that time ebay was offering really nice deals... now it's nothing else than a scam site.

m
l
December 6, 2009 7:06:15 PM

well... like i said. i give up. i tried upgrading my old one, that didn't work. i bought this pc off the guy cuz he lied about the whole thing. i wanted to have an awesome pc, but that obviously won't happen. so i'm selling this piece of crap and buying a 360 lol
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 7:10:39 PM

well, you can't really get an awesome pc for 350 anyways....
m
l
December 6, 2009 7:12:25 PM

jyjjy said:
He has a Pentium D. Try reading the whole thread before posting.

It would matter if the card I was proposing was a 5850 at 300$... but we are talking about a 170$ card... it's the best priced ATI card on the market right now. Long gone the days where the 4850 OC was at 90$.

You are the one who need to understand when a handful of dollars more is worth it... also, he want to play next gen games... a 4670 is a HTPC card for motherboard without video outputs... it's not a gaming card... and you are recommending it?

Who care if it's bottleneck... you paid 80$ more for a card 3 times faster that will show off in some game more GPU oriented.

I told him what to do about his deal and I gave him the best advice for a video card. So you SIR are the one who should zip it.

m
l
December 6, 2009 7:17:03 PM

tnason123 said:
well... like i said. i give up. i tried upgrading my old one, that didn't work. i bought this pc off the guy cuz he lied about the whole thing. i wanted to have an awesome pc, but that obviously won't happen. so i'm selling this piece of crap and buying a 360 lol

If you don't pay him a visit, you will never know. Be a man and go see him. At worst, ask him to give you back some of your money in exchange for the PC. You will probably get more than what you can expect on ebay.

I sold a Core 2 Duo E6400 with a BFG 8800 GTX OC, and Antec 650W power supply and a 200 GIG Hard Drive for 600$CAD... no way you are going to have 100$ for it on ebay.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 7:38:12 PM

redgarl said:
It would matter if the card I was proposing was a 5850 at 300$... but we are talking about a 170$ card... it's the best priced ATI card on the market right now. Long gone the days where the 4850 OC was at 90$.

You are the one who need to understand when a handful of dollars more is worth it... also, he want to play next gen games... a 4670 is a HTPC card for motherboard without video outputs... it's not a gaming card... and you are recommending it?

Who care if it's bottleneck... you paid 80$ more for a card 3 times faster that will show off in some game more GPU oriented.

I told him what to do about his deal and I gave him the best advice for a video card. So you SIR are the one who should zip it.
An HD4670 is a fine card for playing games at low resolutions and even a card of it's caliber would suffer a large amount of bottlenecking from a Pentium D. Telling him to pair a more powerful card with that processor is just as good advice as telling him to flush his money down the toilet. I guess I gave you the benefit of the doubt assuming you just hadn't read the thread but if an HD4890 is your actual advice for someone with a Pentium D then you simply have no idea what you are talking about.
m
l
December 6, 2009 8:08:21 PM

Guys, you are giviing advice to someone who only paid $350 for his PC. Yeah, some of the parts are dated. But, its got a DX9 video card and a dual core processor (its astounding how many of you Intel fanboys are ready to throw Intel under the bus for the Netburst archetecture - I use AMD processors, but P4s weren't THAT bad).
Look, the answer is simple, for many games lower resolution and detail and DX9 display capabilities are a possibility. Not all of us WANT to waste cash on a constant cycle of upgrading. What he already has WILL play many current games.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 8:22:06 PM

Pentium D + 7900 GS will play some current games at low settings and resolution but not well and will fail miserably with the majority, especially the one game he actually mentioned. Pentium 4s weren't THAT bad... in 2005, but now...? He did only pay $350 but he paid that much for a computer that should have cost less then half of that.
m
l
December 6, 2009 8:39:21 PM

Apparently you guys don't understand the whole concept behind Ebay. You don't bid on (or buy outright) an item at a price above what you would value the item at. Further, on one system I own I'm still using an A64 X2 5000+ BE and a Nvidia 7600GT video card. Playable framerates on Crysis -No, but Left for dead and other recent games - yes.
You guys are unrealistic. for $350 he's not going core duo and DX10, but what he's got can be used - even if he wants to run Win7.
m
l
December 6, 2009 8:55:44 PM

One final note and I'll butt out. This entire discussion points directly to why console gaming has so completely dominated the market. People don't like having to upgrade as frequently as appears necessary with PC gaming (not to mention the initial cost PLUS the high price of PC upgrade parts).
Consoles provide a stable platform for several years. Their initial cost is LOWER than a PC and you NEVER upgrade until a new model comes out (usually after several years).
Plus there's no Geeks out there telling you you have to buy in to the cycle of constant upgrades.
If he really wanted to play games with his $350, he should have bought an XBOX360 or a Playstation3.
What he bought was a $350 computer; useful, but not ideal for games (in other word, he got what he paid for).
m
l
December 6, 2009 9:20:08 PM

m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 9:27:20 PM

He did not buy a $350 computer, he bought a $150-200 dollar computer for $350. He also never said he bought it on Ebay, he said it was "custom built" for him and was lied to about how good it was.
A quick search on Ebay gave me this;
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-II-X2-240-2-8G-Dual-Core...
Throw an HD4670 in there and he has a computer twice as good for the same price.
m
l
December 6, 2009 10:00:57 PM

OK, maybe not the last comment. An Nvidia 6100 based MATX system with only onboard video and no operating system?
Then add a video card (one that most of you wouldn't settle for).
If he's got to pay extra for an OS and a decent video card, that's hardly a fair comparison. What makes you think that if he couldn't judge the qualities of his current system that he's up to setting up a system he has to upgrade on arrival AND install the OS?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 7, 2009 3:37:24 AM

How is it not a fair comparison? It's a $350 system and he would be able to play modern games. And I included the cost of an HD4670 in the $350.
What's wrong with a mATX system on that budget? Who cares about the onboard video when I specifically said to add an HD4670? Why is an Athlon II/HD4670 no good all of a sudden for that budget when you were just arguing that a Pentium D/7900 gs was all he could expect for the money?
As for OS you are assuming the other computer came with windows, preinstalled at that when it was never mentioned. Even if it was you also assume he doesn't have a windows disc already and he is a moron that can't handle installing it. Or installing a graphics card when he specifically came in here to ask what card he should get to install in his system.
Arguing just for the sake of arguing is one thing but insulting the OP because he isn't aware of the current state of computer components is uncalled for.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2009 3:35:43 PM

just get a e6500 and a 5750
m
l
!