Ebram Gaunt

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hello,

I am looking to build an all out gaming rig on as tight a budget as possible, but suffice to say my shopping basket stands at £1,200 for a full setup - monitor & peripherals (owned already)

ANY advise is welcome, right now I have more or less settled on a AMD X4 955BE based system (DDR3 memory) with a 5870 playing the supporting role.

I want to play new and hardcore games in Ultra high settings on a 1080p setup I have already,for as long as feasable, decent backup travel monitor suggestions if anyone has any ideas?

MANY thanks in advance.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I’m not sure exactly what you are asking: either is this setup good or is there a way to keep the same performance and go cheaper.
That is a good set up for a gaming pc. The PII 955 will not bottleneck the gpu hence you will be playing game at very high settings. I hope that your cart has at least 4gb of ram in it. If you looking for input on your parts and ways to save money on your build please list all of the parts that you are buying.

You'll have an excellent gaming system with the parts you chose.

If you insist on spending the entire £1,200, then go ahead and get an i7, but I don't think it's necessary unless you absolutely demand that last bit of extra performance.

Ebram Gaunt

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
@ blackhawk1928, Im sorry for inapropriate posting, im a Forum Neewbie (as you can probably tell)

@ Taco, Thanks, from what I read, I believe, on my budget, with the demands of modern gaming being centred Incresingly on the GPU in high specs, I am better saving money on my Processor and board (AMD 955 is still a darn good processor) to spend extra on my Video Card so long as my CPU isnt lagging with bottlenecks as Pro Llama was saying? --Stop me if Im wrong here--

So ill start again as best i can..

Im looking to buy and build my gaming rig within the next 2 week period, £750-1250GBP (Including UK P&P) is my budget but only because I am not convinced i can atchieve my gaming system for less than £750 but I am open to ideas if someone has a genie-mouse suggestion?

I will use this system virtually Exclusively for High End gaming, may do some benchmarking and overclocking if required but im not to keen on messing too much with a pricey gaming system ive just baught for that sort of ££££, but I need the system to be Amply capable at 1080p on new releases, future releases and as far into the gaming future as is possible for this budget. (As im sure you all would too!)

I have a 1080p Panasonic TX=P42G10B that i shall use as a primary/gaming display and an old analogue DVD surround system that will suffice for my sound from an onboard sound device, otherwise I need all parts for my tower system.

I have been shopping here www.scan.co.uk

..and below I have listed my current shopping list for refference;

LN14373 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound for CPU and Chipset Coolers - 3.5 gram

LN17671 QPAD-EC-R-Gaming-mouse-pad

LN21722 3m Scan HDMI to DVI-D

LN24082 150-GB-Western-Digital-VelociRaptor

LN25668 Microsoft-Sidewinder-X6]Microsoft-Sidewinder-X6

LN26231 Asus-M4A79-T-Deluxe-AMD-790FX

LN27236 Phenom-II-X4-955-BlackEdition

LN28456 4GB-(2x2GB)Corsair-XMS3-DDR3-PC3-12800 (1600)

LN28606 19-Asus-VH196D

LN29165 Windows 7 64bit

LN29304 Pioneer-DVR-S18LBK

LN29625 1GB-XFX-HD-5870-XXX

LN32251 NZXT-Hades

Ok.. Im aware there is no PSU or aftermarket cooling for the CPU, and the monitor may be OTT for a LAN monitor but i would like 1440x900 on the fly for this machine if possible? I need advice on all of the above if possible here :)

Lastly, I post here to ask for general input on the system build regarding both price (£1207 :( and 'fit for purpose' as described) Comments and Critism (Justified and fair) are welcome on any aspect of the build.

My thanks again for your time.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
For the motherboard you can save some money by going with this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-M4A79XTD-EVO-AMD-790X-AM3-PCI-E-20(x16)-DDR3-1333-1600-1800-SATA-3Gb-s-ATX
It has everything the other board does and cost about 50 less.

The cpu is the c2 stepping of the chip. The c3 stepping is a better overclocker and uses a little less power. The site you used doesn’t have the c3 the model number is HDZ955FBGMBOX.

You have good ram, gpu, and fast hd. The mouse, keyboard and stuff like that are all about you. The case you like looks like it has good air flow. The monitor has good specs.

For your power supply I would suggest this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650W-Corsair-CMPSU-650TX-single-12V-rail-energy-efficient-quiet-and-cool-fully-compatible

Good luck with your build

Ebram Gaunt

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Very helpfull! was unsure on the ram and board so that helps and the PSU seems to be a great deal, cant see why i didnt spot it before lol