Problem with my ATI HD5770

Jburch3969

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hello guys,

Recently (2 weeks ago) I built a computer for my wife, and we are having 1 small issue that keeps cropping up. The system was running fine it seemed at first, but here recently (she just started using it heavy the past couple days), at random intervals the computer will freeze, the screen will turn to a random color, and then go black. After about 5 seconds it will pop back, and a message will come across in Windows that says something to the effect of the ATI Radeon Family has stopped responding and recovered. This happens roughly every 30 minutes or so. While I was looking at it I noticed specificaly it would happen when I would go into the Overclock / Fan speed adjustment in Catalyst, and my wife says it seems to happen to her when she is using Microsoft office 2007 and trying to print. But it will also happen at random times during use as well

I have the latest version of catalyst, and the latest drivers.

Here are my system specs

LG DVD writer
Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM Hard Drive
2 x 2Gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline DDR2 1066 Ram
Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo CPU
XFX Radeon HD5770 (Juniper XT) 1 Gb GPU
Gigabyte ATX Mobo
Generic 500W PSU (came with the case)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

From some of the things I have read, and seeing the 450W min requirement from the GPU itself, I am wondering if the problem might be the PSU. I was just wondering if anyone has any information that may help me diagnose this issue.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a bad PSU causing problems when it's stressed which is funny because the HHD5770 doesn't really use much power, but like everyting it prefers CLEAN power, and likely that generic POS err... PSU likely is worse than my ~9 year old Enermax 365 let alone the 465 that was in my old editing rig.
Sounds like whenever there is a spike in the required power from either the system or the GPU, then the PSU is crapping out.

BTW, the GPU itself doesn't require 450W alone, they simply recommend a quality 450W PSU to ensure you have clean power.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750_5.html#sect0

For anything more than a web surfing box those PSU that come like prizes in a Cracker Jack box SUCK!

Jburch3969

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
OK so from your response..and from some other things I have been reading, it sounds like the PSU might be a good place to start.

I guess my next question would be, the HD5770 says min 450 W PSU. keeping that in mind, and cosidering the other components I have in the computer, what would you say would be a good wattage PSU to purchase? We arent gunna be doin any overclocking or anything, so that wont even need to be considered

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
generic psu's that usually comes with the chassis are more likely rated half (or even less) than what the sticker says.

he's already lucky IF he has 25amps on the 12v rails on that one. and thats a big IF.

i suggest you pick something like a corsair cx400 at the least for that (has 1 pretty decent 12v rail) or some silverstone/ocz alternative.

Jburch3969

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

o wow t is a deal (if they actualy honor the rebate:p). Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me!. Time to go make a purchase me thinks

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

It could as well be a PSU issue, but I have a more powerfull PSU Antec 650 watts and I have the same problem as yours. When I read your post, I just thought you were describing my problem, except that mine happens even when PC is at idle.

My PC spec:

WDD HDD 500 GB Caviar Black
Asus P7P55D M/B
Intel i7 860 CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
4 X 2 GB Kingston value RAM DDR3-1333 MHz
LG Blu ray writer

What I did in an effort to solve the problem, in addition to many things, was to increase RAM timings from 9-9-9-24 ( this is the RAM timings for Kingston value-RAM DDR3-1333 )to 9-9-9-28 in BIOS.

This did not solve the problem but made it take longer to happen. You can try this, considering your RAM timings, of course.

Best luck

tazdirector

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Though I don't want to discount the possibility that your PSU could be the source of the problem, my guess is that you're experiencing a problem that's plaguing video card users across the Windows 7 and Vista landscape.

I recently ran into this problem on my *NEW* XFX 4890 on a clean Windows 7 system. For those who are wondering about the PSU, I've tested and can reproduce this issue on my system with both of my available PSUs:
- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular
- Corsair VX550

Back to the issue you've noted it appears as though this issue is being caused by a Windows Vista/7 service called Timeout Detection and Recovery' (TDR).

The following is copy and pasted from the following thread
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm

'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and was recovered.'

Also seen as:
'Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and was recovered.' (ATI cards)
'Display driver xxxxxxxx stopped responding and was recovered.' (others)

Also noted as nvlddmkm.sys, atikmdag.sys, and xxxxxxxx.sys bug-check/BSOD.

As a first off, this is not an nVidia issue. It is not an ATI issue either. These errors are triggered by a Windows service called 'Timeout Detection and Recovery' (TDR). You will only see this error on Windows Vista and Windows 7, as TDR is a feature of the new WDDM driver model (implemented first in Vista). Its meant to be there to help stop BSOD's by resetting the GPU and/or driver when there is an issue. If the problem happens multiple times in a row, it can produce a BSOD.

There are separate websites that are dedicated to potential fixes for these errors. Here's the ATI version (there's an nVidia link for those users as well):
http://www.atikmdag.com/

From what I've read...there's no one fix for the issue. I suggest visiting the websites above and trying them all until one sticks...at least, that's what I'm doing.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Today I downloaded ATI Catalyst 9.12 drivers ( only the drivers part ) and installed it. This new release seems to have eliminated the " ATI Radeon family drivers stopped responding and has successfully recovered " issue. Now I have been using my PC for over 3 hours and no single instance of the plague has happened. I hope I have not spoken too early.

If the problem recurs, I will advise.

Best regards

Jburch3969

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I also downloaded the new drivers, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Unfortunatly now, when my wife is playing world of warcraft, the game will just freeze, then the monitor will display a bunch of different colors & lines very rapidly for about 15 seconds. Then the computer will shut down and restart itself. Very strange

G

I have exactly the same problem. However, this is my experience:

It seems to only happen on Windows 7 x64, when on the desktop with the catalyst drivers installed. The native windows driver is fine.

It first started with my Phenom ADM, so I thought my Mobo was bust. I replaced the entire computer with an i7, but my 5770 still does the same. (I also replaced a very good 550W PSU with an 1800W monster, and the problem persists)

SO: I can rule out: AMD & Intel and platforms. PSU. RAM. OS (Works fine in Windows XP/Vista). Reinstalled OS, different ver 7's, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate. It's not the card, as I put another 5570 in my PC and the same thing.

It all started when I installed 9.12 version driver, but now I am unable to find an older driver to test.......

I have even gone as far as to put an serious industrial Unline UPS and Voltage Stabalizer on the power to rule out ripples/voltage spikes.

So, IF I take all the different platforms, OS & Hardware into consideration, I am only stuck with one conclusion, it CAN ONLY BE the Drivers...... ???