Re-Thought my watercooling hardware. (Advice needed)

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the Koolance Copper Core CU1020V High Flow 3x120mm Radiator?
I've been looking at getting a compact rad as i only have roughly 55mm of clearance between the roof of my case and my ram slots.

I was looking at going for the XSPC Ex 360 rad but i've discovered it is 35.5mm thick so i'd have to do some shaving on both the fans and the plastic ram ejector levers.

What is everyones Preferences on the Koolance rad (30mm) vs the Black Ice GT Stealth 360 (29.6mm) or any other suggestions? i live in australia and i'd prefer to buy from an australian site.

Also, would the Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator fans be the best to use for this purpose?

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Sorry Lutfij I have read the sticky a few times before, its just im usually at work when i go on TH and cant get access to websites like skineelabs and whatnot, im surprised that i could even get on this website. i've changed my fan to a koolance 120mm with a CFM of 180 at high haha, i read a few reviews and apparrently they're up there with brands like delta in build quality.

Sorry one of my biggest questions would be what would you prefer out of the two Rads? sorry Moto i dont think ill be able to fit an EX in my case unless i shave some plastic :/.
I asked my retailers and they said they're both pretty much the same apart from the looks and whatnot. i know build quality would be a factor aswell though so i was wondering what everyone at TH thought about the Hardware Labs vs Koolance in build quality?

Crest

Lutfij

Titan
yeap, scythe make 120x15mm fans:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s972/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-120mm_x_12mm_Fans-Page1.html

dimensions wise, the rads are near similar - though you'll need to check it out yourself on martins site :) he details alot of it. In fact I would choose the Alphacool ST30 rad...i guess its the slimmer one and is in an all copper construct.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15665/ex-rad-374/Alphacool_NexXxoS_ST30_Full_Copper_Slim_Profile_Triple_120mm_Radiator.html?tl=g30c95s161

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14918/ex-rad-336/Alphacool_NexXxoS_XT45_Full_Copper_Triple_120mm_Radiator.html?tl=g30c95s161

but we shouldn't be allowed to voice our opinion...we can steer you from potentially bad choices but not tell you what to eat :p

First post, outline your plans for the build, inspirations etc, maybe a couple of pics of the shiny kit you already have and estimated timeline till D-Day,
when you post that/start the thread, as fast as you can, 'reserve' the next two or three posts for updates,
that way you can have a nice big section right at the start before people start asking questions.
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm going one step further and considering the radbox sidecar and radbox camper shell. :)

I like the side mount rad idea as it was something I did for many years (and technically still do) and it has worked well.

It's easy to do, looks decent and works for most people.

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
i'd like to mount the rad on top but i dont think ill be able to fit it under the plastic shell. and the way the front and top shell are made it'll look too strange to have the top off and a rad sticking out the top haha.

I think for now, while im still learning and allowing crazy ideas to manifest themselves ill stick to a traditional loop within the comfort of my case. I mean i've come a fair way since when i first wanted to watercool. (H60 --> RS240 kit --> RS360 kit --> EX360 kit --> picking own parts.) haha i need to make up my mind :p

One thing i wanted to ask though is would you guys suggest this fan for the type of rad i choose.

Fan:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_510&products_id=19684

Rad:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_297_1271&products_id=17660

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
the website I buy through doesnt supply Swiftech or Phobya also both the scythe and bitfenix only push about 50-60 CFM unless I wait ages for the 110CFM fan.

Like you said in my other post Lutfij, ill probably need a stronger fan to push the air through a 30mm Rad. would the idea be to pull the air from the top outside the case into the inside or opposite? i guess it would deped on the temp of the inside of my case right? but seeing as hot air rises if i pulled air from outside and blew it inside, it'd only come back up to bite me wouldnt it? maybe whilst im figuring this out and buying my parts ill also work on my case airflow, what i'd want to do would be to push the GPU air out the back exhaust before it has a chance to reach the top fans? I've been looking at shrouds only recently, a shroud is essentially a duct isnt it? what if i installed the big 200mm fan in the side of the case to combat the hot air coming from the gpu? my average room temperatur would be probably 20c - 25c at this time of year which ill admit is strange in australia, but i guess if i can get that air inside then it'd do a lot more good then bad wouldnt it?

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I think i might go with those coolermasters, they're fairly cheap compared to the rest of the fans, push a fair bit of air and they're a bit quieter then a jet engine. they're significantly quieter then a stock intel fan too so i cant be doing bad right? if any of you two suggest otherwise, let me know but at the moment for that website they look like a good bet. then ill get the 200mm bitfenix spectre pro for the side of my case to get the air that i need haha.

Edit:
Just realised the fan on the top of my case is a 200mm so i can use that on the side of my case when i install the Rad, then later on when i want to be able to see whats inside my computer ill be able to get a GPU block and smaller rad to compensate for the missing side fan. when i change to the gpu block it will further decrease the average temp inside my case wont it? i could possibly even get a front fan to get a little bit more air from my room to assist.

Lutfij

Titan
think things through, no need to be running in circles - in fact some things have already been covered just take some cold sips of latte and take a few walks out for some fresh air.

and we'll stick to one thread for discussion+feedback as I'm also having a headache trying to remember what the two of us wrote up previously :p

oh and btw, might want to close that thread we were talking on and link it here for some feedback and build log postings :)