DVD Drive keeps spinning up after 5770 install

tronald

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I just bought and installed a Diamond Radeon HD 5770 in my Custom Built Cyberpower PC. It's replacing a dead 8800 GT.

My gaming box is running:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
ASUS M2N-SLI Mobo
AMD Athlon X2 5400+ Dual-Core
Diamond Radeon HD 5770 running Catalyst 9.11
6 Gig DDR2 Ram
Apevia WIN-500XSPX 500 W Power Supply (30 - 34 A on 2 12V Rails)

My monitor is 19.5 inches with a max res of 1360 x 768.

Ever since I've installed this card, my PC is taking a long time to boot up. You can hear the DVD drive thrashing over and over, like it is looking to boot from a CD. After a good 30 - 45 seconds of thrashing, it seems like the PC reboots again and everything runs normally.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing something like this?

Could be a PSU problem. After all, did you test your 8800GT in another machine to indeed make sure it was faulty? If not, then it's possible that your PSU was no longer supplying proper power to your 8800GT. The Radeon 5770 should use less power and that is why your computer boots up, but the long pause when booting could be your PSU trying to charge it's damaged capacitors.

tronald

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Hmmm...

I replaced the card with a 7900gs and the PC worked fine. I figured if the PSU was the issue, the 7900 would have acted up too.

I specifically went for the 5770 over a 9800 or GTX 2xx card because of the power consumption issues.

I'll grab a PSU and see if that fixes my issue.

Did the BIOS happen to get reset and have the DVD start up as the primary boot device?

Also, make sure you uninstall ALL of the drivers using Driver Sweeper, and then try installing the 5770 drivers again. I had some really funky issues upgrading from my GTX 460s to GTX 470s, and they used the same drivers!

tronald

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I forgot that I never answered this question. Apparently, it was a driver related issue. Once I did a Windows reinstall, I never had the problem again.

I'm guessing that using a full driver cleaner before installing the ATI drivers would have resolved the issue.

Thanks for the help.