Sign in with
Your question

32 bit or 64 bit

Last response: in Windows 7
December 19, 2009 5:44:09 PM

hi there,
is it true that the applications ( softwares, games) of a 32 bit operating system do not work on a 64 bit system.?

More about : bit bit

a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2009 5:57:38 PM

Yes, and no. Modern 64 bit operating systems do fairly well with 32 bit emulation. One area that I have noticed is severely lacking seems to be cd burning software. I have had many troubles in this one area, otherwise my 64 bit experience has been very satisfying.

IMG burn seems to be one of the few that work well under win7 x64, although it is mostly aimed at folks who use iso. Nero and others really need to get onboard with 64 bit.

I have found only one game so far that simply won't load onto win7, and that is a fairly old D&D game called ruins of myth drannor. I believe it was from the win95/98 era. Other than that, all my older direct x 9 games (winXP) work just dandy.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2009 6:05:53 PM

buzznut said:
I have found only one game so far that simply won't load onto win7, and that is a fairly old D&D game called ruins of myth drannor. I believe it was from the win95/98 era. Other than that, all my older direct x 9 games (winXP) work just dandy.

Chances are that was 16-bit. 16-bit programs will not run on 64-bit Windows 7.

With the combination of the inbuilt software and ImgBurn I have no problems with CD burning, but my needs aren't particularly demanding.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
December 19, 2009 6:46:38 PM

> is it true that the applications of a 32 bit operating system do not work on a 64 bit system.?

It is absolutely not true. It IS true that you need 64-bit drivers (for a video card, for example). And there is the occasional 32-bit program that has problems, but that's the rare exception. The general rule is that a 64-bit operating system will run 32-bit and 64-bit programs equally well.
m
l
!