Audio irratically mutes itself at random???

savage308

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I thought it was a bad port on the top of the case, but aparently no sound comes from my aion game, came from resident evil 5, but it was muting every second or so then unmuting, now i can see the icon on my activity tray muting/unmuting, any ideas?

savage308

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
muting, also looks like certain scroll bars are automatically lengthening or shortenign themselves even though the page doesnt move, all erratically....

Interesting enough, I unplug the headphones from the headphone jack at the top of the case, and it stops doing that... maybe a bad connection to mobo from case connections? might even explain why my case fan led's wont light up either.... yet the fan still works, so idk about that 1....

First thing: Do the headphones work in a different USB port? If so, you may have solved your problem in record time -- and it's time to figure out why that USB port is bad, but that's another story.

If they still don't work: Do the headphones work in a different system? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that would point to bad headphones.

If neither of those solve your problem ... if I had to guess, easiest thing would be a driver conflict/outdated driver. What OS are you using, and did you install either the OS, any components, or the headphones recently? If yes (or if you're using Windows 7), try searching for any driver updates for the motherboard, headphones, probably the the video card just for good measure. See if installing the latest ones helps.

One other relatively simple thing to check is whether the wires from the USB port are making good contact with the pins on the board. It's probably worth taking a look in your case to see if they're loose, plugged in one pin off, or anything of that nature. Occasionally, you may also run into case wires whose connectors have worn out and the pins inside are slightly bent, so they make only loose/intermittent contact. Kind of like what happens to old original NES systems where you have to blow on the games and they only work for a few minutes. I had that happen to me recently with the pins from the power switch to the case, and it was a tremendous pain in the ass to troubleshoot. Haven't heard of it happening with the USB connectors, but there's a first time for everything.

savage308

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
It's a known good system, if I plug them in via the monitor (using an hdmi to screen) it works excellently... also it seems when i have CCC open it refreshes or something and my tab bar disapears so I have to go get it again... no clue why. I'll try updated drivers for the mobo. I am running windows 7.

TRENDING THREADS