When's a good time to buy an internal HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limbo9653

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
For the past week i've been sharking around town and online looking for a steal sale on hard drives. Not too long ago it seemed like most companies were giving out hard drives dirt cheap. (i.e. 7200 1tb for $50~$60)But since then it seems like all the prices have inflated. It's hard to find 1tb HDD's that run at 7200 RPM under $120.
Am I missing something that everyone knows? How come there aren't any decent deals on hard drives these days?

Do I wait patiently for HDD's to go on sale? I know black friday is just around the corner, but maybe it's just bad timing on my part.

Any suggestions/comments/insight about the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to the community in advance,

Tim

Solution
it is anticipated that there will be somewhat of a shortage because of flooding in thailand. i would guess the recent rises in price aredue to a combination of factors including speculation about the supply in coming months. my advice would be buy on black friday or before but don't wait longer

http://hothardware.com/News/Brace-Yourself-The-Great-Hard-Drive-Shortage-of-2011-is-Coming/

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
it is anticipated that there will be somewhat of a shortage because of flooding in thailand. i would guess the recent rises in price aredue to a combination of factors including speculation about the supply in coming months. my advice would be buy on black friday or before but don't wait longer

http://hothardware.com/News/Brace-Yourself-The-Great-Hard-Drive-Shortage-of-2011-is-Coming/

Solution

limbo9653

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Holy crap, I heard about the flooding but I had no idea that it directly affected the supply of HDD's.

Well then I suppose I should buy a smaller HDD and just hold out on it until things stabilize.

Thanks for the link ewood.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
If you can hold out, prices will fall after two quarters. It may not be much initially, but as time goes on and the manufacturers ramp up production, we'll see prices drop to about what we became used to. Don't expect this to happen for about a year though. Not sure why people go on about this like its the end of affordable hard drives. Its not, its merely a hiccup in the market and prices will eventually drop again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS