What's going on with the bios GA-X58A-UD7

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I've got the GA-X58A-UD7 MoBo in a new system build so I've been doing some playing around etc`..
Here are a couple of questions that I'd love to have answered.
1. What is going on between the MoBo and hard drive when switching from IDE to ACHI. Story: I'm planning on doing a clean install of Win 7 and decide I'll switch from IDE to ACHI, boot from cd and reformat. Well what happened is bios did not reconize the drive after the change to ACHI. However when the drive was moved to a different Sata port, there it is trying to boot.
So why didn't bios see the drive in its original location.

2. I look at my overclocking section it shows my cpu clock with a 25 which is 3.33 Ghz. When the system boots it's telling me my processor speed is 3.46Ghz which I'm sure is a 26 multiplier (my last overclock I believe?)
So does this have something to do with the dual boot? or is Gigabyte just displaying some BS numbers. Then when I do overclock which numbers do I trust. Please don't say use CPU-Z to be sure (using a free program to verify a $300 plus MoBo just seems wrong to me.)
Inquiring minds want to know.

More info if needed:
Antec 1200 case
GA-X58A-UD7 MoBo
Intel 980X CPU
Diamond Radeon 5970
3 x 2 Gb corsair Dominator 1866Mhz
OCZ 128Gb SSHD where Windows 7 resides
WD 1000 Gb drive
PSU 1050 watts
BluRay player
DVD R/RW
Linksys Wireless adapter
Logitech wireless Mouse and Kb

Solution
There's likely your problem... The Marvell ports are, to all intents and purposes, essentially useless at this point. Win7 has 'native' AHCI drivers, which should do away with the need for 'pre-load' drivers when installing, but I very much doubt the Marvells are 'covered'. You want your drives on the ICH, and you do want them in AHCI mode, as the Intel driver (latest - Rapid Storage Technology driver version 9.6.0.1014) will 'pass through' the OS' TRIM commands, which are vital to the long-term health and performance of your SSD...

The Marvell SATA3 is no match for the venerable Intel ICH series: some benchmarks...

bilbat

Splendid
Have to think about 1 for a bit - which SATA port did/do you have it on?

2 is very likely just 'TurboBoost'; with only one thread 'loaded', the processor can 'kick itself up' a notch or two. Easy way to verify is to go into the BIOS, and on the '******** Advanced CPU Features ********' sub-page of the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page, disable "Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech." to see if the clock discrepancy goes away...

bilbat

Splendid
There's likely your problem... The Marvell ports are, to all intents and purposes, essentially useless at this point. Win7 has 'native' AHCI drivers, which should do away with the need for 'pre-load' drivers when installing, but I very much doubt the Marvells are 'covered'. You want your drives on the ICH, and you do want them in AHCI mode, as the Intel driver (latest - Rapid Storage Technology driver version 9.6.0.1014) will 'pass through' the OS' TRIM commands, which are vital to the long-term health and performance of your SSD...

The Marvell SATA3 is no match for the venerable Intel ICH series: some benchmarks...

Solution

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
You are most likely correct, that's why I changed to ACHI. I read the sticky only after having some problems with my Raid0 losing 1 drive and being human, I am always curious.

thanks for you time!

bilbat

Splendid
Always
welcomeho.gif
!

TRENDING THREADS