New Built - Disk Error Occured - HELP!

awesomateen

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am new to Tom's Hardware. In fact, this website helped me chose the parts for my new build.
I find this forum very helpful and awesome! For that, i thank you people @ Tom's Hardware. :D

But now i have a problem.

Just 2 days ago, i built up a new pc. i have to say, my IT knowledge is limited. A friend of mine helped me assemble the parts.
Below are the specs:

Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45
Processor: Intel i5 - 2500k
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W Core edition.
Graphic Card: Sapphire HD 6950 Toxic 2GB DDR5
Hard Drive: HITACHI 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

(Hope i didn't miss anything out.)

just my very FIRST time switching on my computer i get this message;

"disk error occured. press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

My BIOS does recognize the hard drive. it showed up in the boot options.
after which, from the bios, i chose boot from Samsung DVD-drive (with Windows 7 OS installation DVD inside)
The setup started but it could not detect my hard drive.
i tried switching the SATA cables and power cables, the error still existed.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT?

I am in dire need to play Battlefield 3! (the main reason i built this comp) hahaha

Thank you so much, in advance.

tomatthe

Distinguished
If the drive is showing up in the bios, and it's not showing up in the Windows install you probably just need the drivers for the controller it's on.

Download the driver from here,

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-G45--B3-.html#/?div=Driver&os=All

You need the one labeled, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Floppy Driver (F6). Put it on a usb key then when you get to the screen during the Windows install that should show your hard drive there is a button that says load driver, click that and point to the usb key. After it has loaded the driver your hard drive should show up. REMOVE THE USB KEY and select your drive, Windows should install from that point.