Best Buy Desktop Memory Waaay Overpriced!!

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
:fou: I was so thrown back by the prices that Best Buy charges i had to post a little thread on this to see if neone else on this forum has realized this and if these kind of prices are the regular around the country. You see I went to best buy the other day to look for a ddr3 4gb dual channel set 4 my new rig I just built. Well to my surprise they had a tiny little shelving area at the very end of a small isle where they kept the ram.They carried no ddr3 only ddr2 and only up to 800mhz! But that was not the bad part For a single 2gb stick of cheap corsair 800mhz ram they charged $100??!! All of the ram they had was priced this way even for the cheapest Kingston value ram they charged $50 a gig! I am not sure y this bothered me soo much but it did and still does do they overcharge like this at all of their stores?? Can neone attest to this??

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I've gone to BB to get some DDR3 also, they don't carry any. The sales rep said "Why would you need DDR3, DDR2 will suit all your needs."

But I learned my lesson, Best Buy is NOT a computer store, they are an electronics superstore... Micro Center or local stores are the way to go.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Agreed - Micro Center or Fryes for PC components, even better online if you know what you want.

ScamAlert

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Lol best buy is a complete ripoff not just the ram they sell but everything. Your much better off to shop online (newegg.com or amazon.com) or at a smaller locally owned store. Even if you hate waiting a week for shipping the next day air shipping is still cheaper unless your just buying one small item. The geek squad installiation or service plans are so overpriced i just laugh at people paying for that. The sales people never know more then whats already on the box but keep pestering you with, "do you need help with anything?" LMAO like they even know anything about computer components or electricity. The reward points is also a joke if you spend a whoppin' $250.00!!! on products marked up 150% they're so kind to give you a tiny $5 off coupon on your next purchase that expires quickly. And they decided to stop mailing the coupons you get to print them yourself. And dont even get me started on the premier shopper status and 0% interest credit card because its so gay and retarded.

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Hey if you're really looking for a deal go to Barns and Noble. The last the last I looked they were asking ~$300/MB. That was 15-20 years ago, but outrageous even at that time. I haven't been back since, even for books.