Which graphics card is the best for my system?

sandlehat

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
So My computer is one year old and currently i would like to upgrade my good for nothing intel r 82945g express chipset to a really good and reliable graphics card, something that could possibly play some recent games like oblivion smoothly and other mmorpgs. Any one any suggestions on which graphics card is best for my system?

My computer specs are :

Intel R Dual cpu @ 1.80ghz

2gb of RAM

400w pcu

Windows Vista Ultimate - 32-bit operating system

thanks

If only for casual gaming I would suggest HD4670 or GF GT240 these are not top of the line cards but are energy efficient and will work with your current PSU. Anything more powerful we would have to get more info on your PSU like brand name and model or the Amps on the +12volt rail usually found on a sticker on the psu it self.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
If you can afford it - $90 - this card is the most powerful card not requiring a power connector. Minimum system requirements are 350w - and it is more powerful than the 4670 and GT 240. Also note that it uses less power than the standard 9800 GT - which is why it could be made to use with no additional power connector as the regular 9800 GT has - and that the lower power consumption was achieved primarily by using a smaller fab process - not by an reductions that would affect performance.

BFG Tech BFGE98512GTGE GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail - $89.99 with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143186

Here is the chart comparing it to 4670. You will see it is quite a bit more powerful and only costs a little more.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-2009/compare,1195.html?prod%5B2449%5D=on&prod%5B2457%5D=on

The GT 240 is too new to be on the charts, but here is a review that compares two overclocked 240s with, among others, the 9800 GT/8800 GT. Those two are essentially the same card - as explained on page 6 of the review - although the perfomance charts list it simply as the 8800 GT.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-240,2475-6.html

I purchased one a week ago and was able to get it for $70 on sale at Fry's but the sale is over now and it is listed back at $109.99. But even at $90 at newegg it is a very good deal. It only costs a little more than the much slower 4670 and less than the GT 240s. Additionally, BFG is my favorite video card vendor who has long had a lifetime warranty on its products, something few others have. This is my third BFG card.

sandlehat

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
sorry to post again but im really short on cash right now (or should i say my parents are) and can only afford something that is around $50- 70. Something that can play mmorpgs smoothly, any suggestions??

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Here is a review of MSI and Zotac low power 9800 GT compared to the standard reference model.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=2999

The conclusion states:

These power-efficient GeForce 9800 GT cards are a commendable effort at breathing new life into a SKU that can only be described as 'ancient'. The technology behind the cards work, as power consumption is down considerably, but that comes at a loss of performance, which we are happy to report, is very slight.

At idle, both power-efficient cards recorded about 10W less power draw, and this difference is extended to a whopping 42W when measured at load, conclusively showing that the power-efficient cards do draw lesser power, while providing nearly similar performance.

Amazingly, the two power-efficient cards surprised us by achieving substantial improvement in clock speeds. Both cards could be clocked higher than a standard GeForce 9800 GT and the Zotac GeForce 9800 GT Eco even managed to achieve 650MHz at the core - a respectable 100MHz bump over its stock 550MHz. The can be attributed to the revised silicon used to fabricate the GPU of these newer GeForce 9800 GT cards.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
For $50-70, and considering your system, I wouldn't recommend much more than a ATI 4650. Yes, you should have an easy time with most MMOs, as they have to appeal to all types of gamers for success, and not known for being graphical powerhouses built only for high buck rigs.