Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Noob Build - Ready to Rock - Almost

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 5, 2009 2:02:03 PM

Very close but waffling on the GPU - See Post below

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: $600-$700

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Sound Card, Wifi card

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com though could go elsewhere

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe - have to learn how

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe - ditto

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Prefer function over form

$680 after shipping and MIRs

CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Retail $77

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $70 after MIR

GPU and OS Bundle - SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $235

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail $100

PSU - OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $45 after MIR

HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $55

Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $50 with free shipping

DVD - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM $32

Shipping $15

More about : noob build ready rock

December 5, 2009 5:12:43 PM

Antsy bump - can someone with some know how please address the bolded questions above. Thanks.
m
0
l
December 5, 2009 5:26:11 PM

everything is fine you get all you need
m
0
l
Related resources
December 7, 2009 5:51:18 PM

If you are dropping to 2GB RAM you might as well just use XP and wait for a WIN7 64bit when you can upgrade to 4GB.

Its just not possible to go down in price much more and have a good gaming system. Everything you have is pretty much bare minimum for a quality system.

You could drop to an AthlonIIx2 and save maybe $15.
m
0
l
December 8, 2009 12:24:17 AM

Drop the OS. Arrghh there be places known around these internets where to git ye OS from, free of charrggggeeee. Hint hint.

Ahem, that is if you want to..
m
0
l
December 8, 2009 3:35:40 PM

IMO i would get this ram, its almost brand new, just a few weeks old i believe. Its the new Eco friendly series, same quality and specs as other equal ram but much lower voltage.

RAM: (G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO) $97.99

Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-7-7-21-2N
Voltage 1.35V
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Heat Spreader Yes
m
0
l
December 10, 2009 9:25:38 PM

warpedone said:
Very close but waffling on the GPU - See Post below

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: $600-$700

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Sound Card, Wifi card

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com though could go elsewhere

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe - have to learn how

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe - ditto

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Prefer function over form

$680 after shipping and MIRs

CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Retail $77

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $70 after MIR

GPU and OS Bundle - SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $235

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail $100

PSU - OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $45 after MIR

HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $55

Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $50 with free shipping

DVD - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM $32

Shipping $15


This uses a quad thats overclocked. It will essentially give you a Phenom II quad. Its very easy to do, http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_15337_15354_15359,00.h... and http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247896-28-overdrive-o...

The GTX 250 is stronger than a 5750: "ATI’s Radeon HD 5750 is bested by Nvidia’s GeForce GTS 250." And is $30 dollars cheaper. The GTX 250 is desgined for 1600 res, so your pc will be ready if you upgrade your monitor in the future. In the meantime, you'll get crazy good fps, because the gpu overkill for your current res. :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446...

I did include an OS originally lol.

GTX 250 $113 after rebates
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

620-OC


AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$99 -Freeshipping


Antec Two Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$40


GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$70 -After rebate


A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1333GB2G8-AG - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$89


SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$55 -Freeshipping


SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$165


OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$45 -After rebates


LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$20 -Freeshipping


Win 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$105 - Free Shipping


Total = $684 -After rebates

Try and get the OS from a friend in college, if your not already, that way you can save a bunch of cash.
m
0
l
December 10, 2009 9:27:23 PM

spellrm said:
Drop the OS. Arrghh there be places known around these internets where to git ye OS from, free of charrggggeeee. Hint hint.

Ahem, that is if you want to..



Please do not come around here reccomending illegal activities. Your advise is not wanted.
m
0
l
December 10, 2009 11:06:47 PM

Sweet - thanks for the info Moth. It's amazing how quickly prices and availability of hardware changes so fast.

Had anyone ever used ZipZoomFly.com?
m
0
l
December 10, 2009 11:10:34 PM

ZZF is a reputable site. Newegg has the better return policy so only buy form ZZF if they are cheaper.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 3:58:56 PM

Can someone else please chime in on the GPU? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger.

Existing monitor res is 1440x900
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 4:06:20 PM

What's the issue?

I told you earlier, just buy the $30 Win 7 and get a 5770. Outperforms the GTX 250 and has the added benefit of DX11 support, lower temps, lower power consumption and will be supported for longer. (GTX 2XX line is being phased out)
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 7:32:10 PM

banthracis said:
What's the issue?

I told you earlier, just buy the $30 Win 7 and get a 5770. Outperforms the GTX 250 and has the added benefit of DX11 support, lower temps, lower power consumption and will be supported for longer. (GTX 2XX line is being phased out)


Absolutely. If he can get a 5770, get it. But I don't think the TS mentioned if he was a college student. Anyways, the GTX 250 is made to game at 1600 resolution, so it will give great performance at 1400 res. But thats the problem, why spend more money on overkill? It may be wiser to get a 4670, and wait till he gets a bigger monitor, to get a stronger gpu.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 7:41:57 PM

Well, technically you don't have to be a college student to get the discount, you just gotta know one =P


But yea, re: GPU its an idea of philosophy. Mine is, if it fits in the budget, might as well make it as future proof and best performing as possible.

If your philosophy is get no more than necessary and keep the savings, then yea, go for the GTX 250^^
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 7:45:05 PM

You need to define "great performance". A GT250 wont play my MMOs at ultra high at 1680x1050, a 5770 will (if I drop AA down from max). Also if he wants to play a DX11 game next year he may regret buying a GT250 now.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 8:41:33 PM

DDO & LotRO are the latest. My system is in my info.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 8:47:07 PM

dndhatcher said:
DDO & LotRO are the latest. My system is in my info.


Antec 900; Athlon 64x2 black OC 3220; Zalman CNPS7500 CPU cooler; XFX 5770 GPU; 4GB Corsair DDR2-800 RAM; Ultra LP750 PSU; Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 400GB SATA2 HDD

You don't have a GTX 250, you have 5770.

Perhaps its that crusty cpu. It is kinda old...
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 8:58:38 PM

I am not guessing by looking at benchmarks. I recently upgraded from a 9800 GTX+ (basically a GT 250) to the 5770 and got a huge performance increase as I stated in my prior post. If the CPU was limiting me then the GPU upgrade would not have given me such a large performance increase. I know the 5770 is a much better card at 1680x1050 than the 250/9800/8800 (all basically the same card) from experience.


Someday when you have a wife & kids, you will play on a "crusty old" CPU too. :kaola: 
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 9:23:27 PM

The 250 is better by ~ 40 pts. The 250 is just a 9800GTX+ that is updated and a new cooler slapped on.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 9:37:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I knew what I was talking about. ;) 
You dont know what you are talking about.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-card...
Fallout is the RPG they benchmark. With AA turned off to compensate for the lesser memory on the 9800GTX+ there is a 1/2 FPS difference in performance. I dont know what sonic meant by "~40 points" unless he meant .4 %. The 250 is effectively a 9800 GTX+ (1GB).
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 9:53:40 PM

Quote:
Those benchmarks are useless. We are talking about the GTX 250, not the GTS 250.
I do apologize to teh OP for this thread hijack, but Moth, you really dont know what you are talking about. I challenge you to find a link to a GTX 250, thats not a mislabelled GTS 250. Just try it.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 9:55:57 PM

Ok first off Moth, I was not agreeing with you. Second, the GTX250 DOES NOT EXIST. There is only a GTS250.

I am agreeing with dnd here, and I was reffering to this benchmark, which uses pts.
The Nvidia 9800GTX+ Scores ~1111 The Nvidia 250GTS scores ~1153 which is ~40 pts difference, not much at all. Now the MSI 9800GTX+ BEATS the 250GTS.

I stick to my point the 250 is a rebranded 9800GTX+.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 10:04:31 PM

Proper Benchmark.

They're pretty equal. The 5750 has the edge though, not only performance-wise but also when it comes down to heat, watt, DirectX 11 etc.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 10:16:49 PM

1898 said:
Proper Benchmark.

They're pretty equal. The 5750 has the edge though, not only performance-wise but also when it comes down to heat, watt, DirectX 11 etc.
We were discussing 250/9800 vs 5770. The 5750 is also around the 250/9800/HD 4850 performance range. To me the 5750s biggest problem is that the 5770 is much faster but doesnt cost that much more.
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 10:28:11 PM

The initial discussion was about the 5750/250 though. :kaola: 
m
0
l
December 11, 2009 10:40:23 PM


I may have been confused. Your all right, I'm wrong, sorry.
m
0
l
December 12, 2009 12:54:13 AM

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 5770 - now you guys play nice - you've been an incredible amount of help. Thanks for all the great input.
m
0
l
!