Differing temps on Brisbane 5600+ new CPU

petefbi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hi ...
I just upgraded my Dell E521 from the single core 3800+ to a dual core Brisbane 5600+
Works great except (after burning it in these past few weeks) I'm still getting some wild fluctuations in my temps.
Using CoreTemp the cores seem to sit idle at about 27-30C.
When there's a load (e.g. video editing for an hour) I see it hit high 60s (a couple of times it spiked 71C) so I ended the test.
It also recovers really quickly back down to the idle temp.
Even 50% load seems to propel the temps into the 50s very fast.

I also tried SpeedFan and it reports the temp about 18-20C at idle and doesn't go over 40C at load.

I used Arctic 5 silver to connect the CPU to the stock Heatsink in the Dell - that all seemed to go smoothly.

I guess my question is ... what do I believe? Is there any other way for me to accurately tell what the heck my CPU is doing? (without frying an egg on it?)
Which software would be the most reliable for my hardware?

Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
Your temps are fine. They are supposed to vary; sometimes one core is doing all the work and the other one is idle. These cpus run fine up to 65c; don't risk damaging your components by constantly removing and reapplying thermal paste.
Your temps are fine. They are supposed to vary; sometimes one core is doing all the work and the other one is idle. These cpus run fine up to 65c; don't risk damaging your components by constantly removing and reapplying thermal paste.

Solution