Problem I think is due to graphics (Geforce 9800 GTX)

pablisco

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hi Everybody,

This is my first post in Tom's Hardware. I've got really info from here before but now I really need help with my problem.

When I run games on Windows (I usually run Linux for the rest) the computer starts beeping at random. At first I thought that it was a problem with the GPU overheating but I checked it and seems OK (never higher than 80 Celsius).

When in Linux sometime I get the screen to freeze and I have to reset my computer. I also tried windows XP on a virtualbox under Linux and the beeping problem is even worse.

Here is the setup I have:

- Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P AMD 790X + SB750 Socket AM3 Motherboard
- AMD Phenom II X4 810 6MB
- 8GB DDR3
- generic PSU 430W (the one taht came with the case)

Thank you,

Pablo.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I am not certain about your problem... but personally I would worry about your PSU running that card. Generic PSU's are often not nearly as good as the wattage numbers... and the GTX is a little bit power hungry.

You dont need more wattage, probably just higher quality. A 450-500w Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, or OCZ power supply would really be a boost for your system-- and would keep it a lot safer from electrical issues too. Try to find one that's 80+ efficient for better power usage.

pablisco

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks for your response. I have some new info. I was transferring 12 GB from the local network to my hard drive as well as decompressing them. the Hard Drive started get loads of action from these files and the beeping started again (this time on Linux). It stopped when I finished all the HDD tasks (my house-mates must have been happy).

then I went to check the HDD temp and it turns out it was cycling from 48 to 50 celcious. Is it possible that the drive is causing the beeping? In that case I may need some better ventilation. I'm probably gonna get some :non: responses since I only have a fan (without including the CPU and ups ones).

It's the first computer I put together so don't be too harsh :D I think it's only holding together thanks to the mobo being quite energy efficient.

Thanks in advance.