Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade Suggestions needed: Upgrade from C2D E8400 + P5K-VM to ...

Last response: in Motherboards
June 18, 2010 7:33:32 PM

Hello,
To start, I currently have a C2D E8400 + ASUS P5K-VM board with corsair DDR2 667 memory overclocked to 800MHz.

I want to upgrade my system, and am at a loss as to what to choose from. My questions are:

Should I keep my current CPU and upgrade my mobo only but my concern is that current socket is 775 which might not be upgradeable in future. Im happy with my CPU but concerned about future upgradeability since im upgrading my mobo now.

Same is the case for socket 1156, however the longevity of the socket has been highly questioned and they also limit the PCI-E lanes.

thirdly, 1366 seems the best choice now but is also most expensive, i had a 9600GT GPU which i have sold and am now looking for a new one.

Im not concerned with the budget right now to see the ideal choices, but ultimaltey i will have to sacrifice a little here and there.

So it all comes down to this: after limiting the budget, should i buy a high end card and keep my current CPU + mobo. OR
should i get a mid series card like GTX 2XX series plus upgrade my cpu + mobo , if yes, should i keep the cpu and change my mobo only or go all the way to get a new mobo and cpu also i would like to be future upgradeable.
a c 229 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
June 18, 2010 8:24:30 PM

What's wrong with your motherboard? If nothing is wrong, then you should build around a new platform instead of buying another socket 775 motherboard. Then you'll have to decide on the RAM and GPU.
m
l
June 18, 2010 11:24:47 PM

GhislainG said:
What's wrong with your motherboard? If nothing is wrong, then you should build around a new platform instead of buying another socket 775 motherboard. Then you'll have to decide on the RAM and GPU.

well nothing's wrong with my motherboard but its getting old, you know DDR-II and stuff.

My immediate concern is, should i go cpu+mobo first or gpu as my budget wont allow all at once?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 229 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
June 19, 2010 1:10:09 AM

Is your CPU the bottleneck? With a 9600GT GPU, I would presume that it probably isn't, but that's easy to verify with Task Manager. An overclocked E8400 is quite powerful and DDR2 isn't the bottleneck.
June 19, 2010 12:18:30 PM

GhislainG said:
Is your CPU the bottleneck? With a 9600GT GPU, I would presume that it probably isn't, but that's easy to verify with Task Manager. An overclocked E8400 is quite powerful and DDR2 isn't the bottleneck.

thanks for the quick reply. Guess i'll get a new GPU for now and wait for the prices to drop a little before considering the cpu+mobo so i can get maximum performance increase within my budget. thanks
m
l
June 19, 2010 12:19:22 PM

Best answer selected by xzap042.
m
l
June 19, 2010 1:58:12 PM

buy a card that will give you acceptable performance.. the e8400 wont be the limiting factor in your system most of the tiem
m
l
!