USB Hard drive Enclosure - Power probs

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2004 6:43:24 AM

Hi guys,

I recently purchased one of the above for my 10GB laptop drive.
Now the drive has a max current rating of 700mA which exceeds
the 500mA max USB rating.
However the USB cable is dual-ended so I can draw current from
2 USB ports.
Does anyone know if the stated 500mA is for each USB port
or a combined max rating ?

It seems to be running fine using just 1 of the USB ports.
Am I running a risk of damaging my USB port by doing this ?

If I'm always going to be using 2 ports, I'm considering
switching over to a 40GB drive that has a max rating of 1A.

Anyone have any experience with this ?

TIA,
Ray.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2004 6:37:23 PM

Ray Quinn <quinnray@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Does anyone know if the stated 500mA is for each USB port
> or a combined max rating ?

Each port.

> It seems to be running fine using just 1 of the USB ports.
> Am I running a risk of damaging my USB port by doing this ?

Probably not.

> Anyone have any experience with this ?

I use one daily with a 60GB HD and I normally use both USB connectors unless
I'm connected to my powered USB HUB.

--
Regards,

James