Window 7 32 bit to 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth11

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hello, when i was first setting up my computer (which is a Toshiba) i was given the option of installing either 34 bit or 64 bit versions of windows 7. The computer automaticlly procceeded and installed the 32 bit version. I was wondering what is the best way to upgrade is and whether or not i would have to pay to do it?

Solution
You will have to do a clean install of the Operating system. Also you will need to have all necessary drivers and software available to reinstall. I would suggest backing up all the data you want to keep (photos, music, documents, etc.). If you have never done an OS install perhaps you should get help and perhaps pay to have it done. From your last reply, I suggest you get a reliable Tech to do it for you.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
You can not upgrade from 32 to 64 bit in the usual sense. It requires a complete "clean" install of windows. You will be able to save documents, pictures, music, etc. However all software (programs, utilities, etc.) will have to be re-installed. Also all device drivers for chip set, printers and other peripherals will have to be installed in a 64 bit version. Hope this helps.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
You will have to do a clean install of the Operating system. Also you will need to have all necessary drivers and software available to reinstall. I would suggest backing up all the data you want to keep (photos, music, documents, etc.). If you have never done an OS install perhaps you should get help and perhaps pay to have it done. From your last reply, I suggest you get a reliable Tech to do it for you.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.