PLEASE HELP what amount of ram should I get

Hi,

I need to know what amount of RAM to get since people told me more than 16gb will negatively effect my overclock,However some people say with Ivy bridge and Sandy bridge processors it won't do anything

Processor:INTEL Core i7-3960X Extreme Six-Core, 3.3 - 3.9GHz TB, LGA2011, 15MB L3 Cache

Overclock:Extreme 20% and up performance increase

BTW how much GHz will I end up with after the overclock
13 answers Last reply
More about please amount
  1. Oh man...

    First off good questions. However, the level of questions you're asking makes me think you're not terribly experienced with overclocking. So, that said (no offense inteded) make sure you do some more reading before attempting to go for an extreme OC on your system. You've got a nice rig there and it would be a shame to fry it.

    8GB is generally enough most anyone these days. 4 x 2GB modules would do the job, but most people with Sandy Bridge E systems go for 16GB. The only time you get an advantage with less RAM during overclocking is by cutting down on the number of modules, not so much with reducing the density or amount of memory. The road block here is the modules not being well matched which leads to instability, not the amount of memory.

    What you'll want to do is buy the fastest, lowest latency memory you can afford from a well respected manufacturer that matches sticks. Corsair, G.Skill, and Mushkin are all good choices.

    You should be able to easily hit 4.6-4.8 GHz on your CPU on safe voltages, and likely 5.0 GHz or better on voltages that will toast your CPU.
  2. 87ninefiveone said:
    Oh man...

    First off good questions. However, the level of questions you're asking makes me think you're not terribly experienced with overclocking. So, that said (no offense inteded) make sure you do some more reading before attempting to go for an extreme OC on your system. You've got a nice rig there and it would be a shame to fry it.

    8GB is generally enough most anyone these days. 4 x 2GB modules would do the job, but most people with Sandy Bridge E systems go for 16GB. The only time you get an advantage with less RAM during overclocking is by cutting down on the number of modules, not so much with reducing the density or amount of memory. The road block here is the modules not being well matched which leads to instability, not the amount of memory.

    What you'll want to do is buy the fastest, lowest latency memory you can afford from a well respected manufacturer that matches sticks. Corsair, G.Skill, and Mushkin are all good choices.

    You should be able to easily hit 4.6-4.8 GHz on your CPU on safe voltages, and likely 5.0 GHz or better on voltages that will toast your CPU.


    What about a CORSAIR 64GB (8 x 8GB) Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz will that effect my OC, people tell me it will.
    64gb is for work purposes,I don't absolutely need it but if it will effect my OC I'm OK with 16gb.I don't care if it's overkill as long as it's the best of the best,and doesn't effect my system negatively in anyway possible..

    BTW what did you mean by better voltages.(I'm not experienced at all with these things)
  3. Not "better voltages," but "...5.0GHz OR better on voltages..."

    All I meant was that you can pretty wasily hit around 4.8GHz on safe voltages, but you'll have to exceed Intel's maximum specified voltages to go high than that.
  4. What about the CORSAIR 64GB (8 x 8GB) Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz will that negatively effect my OC or my system in anyway?
  5. Corsair is a good choice. I would try and find some Dominator memory if you want ultra high performance and overclocking stability, but the Vengence line is still meant for enthusiasts so it's no slouch either (I run Vengence myself).
  6. So your saying I should go for the CORSAIR 16GB (4 x 4GB) Dominator-GT DHX Pro DDR3 2133MHz over the
    CORSAIR 64GB (8 x 8GB) Vengeance™ Black PC3-15000 DDR3 1866MHz.
    I want to go with the one with the best performance.
  7. Absolutely. Dominator memory is strictly meant for extreme overclockers. They'll be matched quad sets of the highest performance which will in turn give the best stability. Make sure you get a quad channel 1.50V memory kit as well as it will have the most overclocking headroom and assure that you get four matched sticks (they sell both 1.65V and 1.50V flavors).
  8. JJuuBB said:
    So your saying I should go for the CORSAIR 16GB (4 x 4GB) Dominator-GT DHX Pro DDR3 2133MHz over the
    CORSAIR 64GB (8 x 8GB) Vengeance™ Black PC3-15000 DDR3 1866MHz.
    I want to go with the one with the best performance.



    Where do you get CORSAIR 64GB (8 x 8GB) Vengeance™ Black PC3-15000 DDR3 1866MHz.

    As far as I know there are no 8 x 8GB Corsair sets. Yet they don't have any 8x ram sets at all...
  9. cemster said:
    Where do you get CORSAIR 64GB (8 x 8GB) Vengeance™ Black PC3-15000 DDR3 1866MHz.

    As far as I know there are no 8 x 8GB Corsair sets. Yet they don't have any 8x ram sets at all...

  10. Well actually I stand corrected.

    CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9

    Tell captain as soon as I get the rams he can beam me up... :))
  11. Guess what I found?

    NEW! 64GB Corsair 1866mhz Vengeance (8x8GB)

    Latency 9-10-9-27
    Price £584.59 inc. VAT

    This one doesn't exist anywhere else..

    These two don't even exist in the Corsair site?!
  12. i use g.skill 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram at 1.5 volts with timings of 8-8-8-24, they work really well and are around $50 on newegg, you really dont need anymore than 16gb tops, 8gb is already enough
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking RAM Processors