Sata 3gb vs 6gb drive

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I'm checking out the highly recommended 1TB samsung F drives... and noticed it's a Sata3.0gb/s.. I am just wondering if the sata 6.0gb/s make much difference? (mobo has sata 6.0 port)

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
ok so sata2 is 3.0 and sata3 is 6.0gb/s?

IDE was all that was around when I had my last build. Havn't worked with SATA at all.

on a 7200rpm drive 3.0 or 6.0 doesn't make much difference is what your saying?

-----------------------------------------------------

So if I have a SSD drive, I would rather connect to a sata 6.0gp/s port?

Just let me know if I got that right.

Thanks for the Repsponse Hawk.

Rob.

Sata2 = 3gb/s, Sata3 = 6Gb/s.

Yes, SSD's are better served from a sata3 port, 6Gb/s.

Yes, a single 7200rpm sata3 (6gb/s) drive will perform just as well on a sata 2 port as it will on a sata 3 port, so yes, a sata2 drive will perform almost identical as a sata3 drive in real world performance. You will only see a difference in synthetic benchmarks.

Sata III HDD on a SATA III port will only improve burst rate. This translates to very little real improvement in day to day performance.
HDD performance is limited by RPMs and platter density and even at 15K RPMs it is not going to saturate SATA II.

More of a marketing tool, as manuf state support for the newest/fastes interface - Fine print left off, doesn't improve performance.

While SATA III SSDs benifit from the SATA III interface - it's primarily in the Sequencial read/write performance with much smaller improvement in the more important 4 K random read/writes.