AutoRun on hardrive

D

Deleted member 589304

I recently built a new computer with two hard drives one is a SSD which holds my OS the second is a WD caviar black.

I had to initialize the WD and then format it. After initializing it and formatting it a AutoPlay window came up. I ignored it at the time but now think that it is kind of strange that there was autoplay on a internal hard drive.

So I was trying to find some information on the internet, and I seen lots of people talking about "Autoplay Viruse".

But I can double click on the drive and open it without it opening Autoplay features. Also if I right click there is Autoplay there but now after reformatting the hard drive again it is no longer under the right click.

So is/was this the "autoplay virus" or whatever?
or is this something normal?

Additional notes
I am using windows 7 if that matters.
This is the first time I have ever had two hard drives in a computer.
The option is not under the main OS drive.

Thanks

Solution
If you click "Start", type "autoplay" and hit <Enter>, does the dialogue box that comes up have the "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" checked? If so, then I believe it's normal for the AutoPlay window to come up, even for internal devices that newly appear on the system.

Older operating systems only ran autoplay if there were particular files on the drive that was being attached, but the newer ones have a default "Autoplay" dialogue that gives you choices about whether to view the drive in Explorer, etc. even if there are no autoplay files on the drive itself.
If you click "Start", type "autoplay" and hit <Enter>, does the dialogue box that comes up have the "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" checked? If so, then I believe it's normal for the AutoPlay window to come up, even for internal devices that newly appear on the system.

Older operating systems only ran autoplay if there were particular files on the drive that was being attached, but the newer ones have a default "Autoplay" dialogue that gives you choices about whether to view the drive in Explorer, etc. even if there are no autoplay files on the drive itself.

Solution
D

Deleted member 589304

Ya I believe it was checked.
And I would hardly think that it was anything harmful any way. The only discs that I but in were the Windows CD and the Motherboard CD and it was only connected to the internet long enough to activate since I do not yet have a virus scanner for that computer

TRENDING THREADS