Overclocked i5-2500k Overheating Issue

I have the H50 and I have been running 1.36V with 4.5GHz overclock for about 6 months now, and it usually runs at 60-65 degrees at most. Today, it hit 95 degrees for the first time, randomly, and I had to restart my computer and undo the overclock and then wait about 15 minutes for the CPU to cooldown. It is now at around 65-75 degrees at stock speeds and voltage. What went wrong? (Should be closer to 40 right now)
6 answers Last reply
More about overclocked 2500k overheating issue
  1. Try putting a new coat or thermal paste.
  2. Opened the side of my case, wiggled the H50 tubes and it dropped back down to 50 degrees. Wtf. Would it be safe to re-overclock it now?

Edit: Closed my case it is back to 70 degrees. My case is the HAF922, I don't see a ventilation problem in sight.
  3. Try it just watch the temps.I run my 2500K on air with a Zalman 9700 @4.5 and I never hit above 60C.your H50 might be defective.
  4. 24oz said:
    Try it just watch the temps.I run my 2500K on air with a Zalman 9700 @4.5 and I never hit above 60C.your H50 might be defective.

Are the tubes supposed to be cold? Maybe my H50 did break.
  5. 70 is high for stock settings.I would remove it and and take a look at it.if it looks fine try putting it back in.
  6. Opened up Starcraft 2 and it has gone up to 95 degrees. I think I'm going to turn my computer off and call Corsair tomorrow.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Intel i5