Sign in with
Your question

Which is better

Last response: in CPUs
February 16, 2010 5:51:57 AM

Hello,
i want to ask which of the operating systems is better to be installed, xp or windows 7 ??

More about : question

a b à CPUs
February 16, 2010 6:09:54 AM

I prefer windows 7 over XP.

Windows 7 is faster than XP provided you have dual core processor(or better) and sufficient amount of RAM.

However, if you have an older RIG then XP will be good for you.
m
l
February 16, 2010 6:16:26 AM

actually i've recently got a Dell laptop and i want to know which of the operating systems do i install, because it hasn't any of them neither xp.... so what do i install and tell me the windows 7's advantages if you know some of them :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2010 6:18:29 AM

Ah! interesting question. Both have their good and bad points, but Windows 7 is by far the most modern and yet simple OS Microsoft have ever developed. The only reason I would still recommend XP would be if your hardware is too old to run 7 properly.
m
l
February 16, 2010 6:22:41 AM

No, it's new but i want to know what are the differences between the operating systems ?? to decide which do i install and do i have to install a licenced one or it doesn't matter ....
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2010 6:29:03 AM

well windows ,7 is newer.

it supports newer hardware and software, has more features and greater ease of use.

i wouldn't recommend XP to anyone anymore, since you are basically sticking yourself with dx9 and potentially cutting yourself off from many new features or software releases.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2010 6:29:23 AM

I'm not going to answer the second question, I assume you will do the right thing.

From using 7, the biggest advantages for me are the improvements in stability and security, and the much improved hardware support.

Windows 7 is very difficult to crash, and is also very good at managing hardware devices. It will even search for drivers online and install them automatically. Thus, the out-of-the-box experience is much better than XP, where you sometimes have to struggle for hours to get all your hardware and devices working.
m
l
February 16, 2010 6:37:19 AM

well, thanks for ur fast response.. and i guess that i have to a get a licenced windows 7 operating system :)  !!!! if there is anyother thing to be mentioned u tell me ....
m
l
February 16, 2010 6:39:46 AM

i've heard that the back ground often stays blue and couldn't be changed , or mistaken !!!! and while installing i do follow the same process as while installing an xp operating system !!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2010 6:41:17 AM

yes, both times ive installed w7 ive found it hangs on the blue background. initially i thought it was crashing, but after leaving it for a while (30 mins actually) i found it eventually did install. not sure if this is normal (due to unpacking files) or just a bug. but if it does hang, leave it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2010 6:43:42 AM

^Never happened with me:) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2010 6:45:32 AM

shubham1401 said:
^Never happened with me:) 

i assume its some kind of bug then. maybe only happens with a certain hardware config. but it happened both when i installed the RC, and the final build.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2010 8:30:18 AM

In my case, the Beta and RC took forever to get past the initial screen, but the RTM installed in half the time. Lightning quick!
m
l
February 16, 2010 3:39:16 PM

nouda said:
No, it's new but i want to know what are the differences between the operating systems ?? to decide which do i install and do i have to install a licenced one or it doesn't matter ....

The word difference won't be appropriate since windows 7 is a betterment of windos xp. I mean u could copy paste in xp and you can copy paste in windows 7 too, but windows 7 displays a small window with approx time remaining, the speed of transfer. But if u want to notice the difference, install xp for some time and then switch to windows 7 later, trust me you would not want to switch back
m
l
February 16, 2010 3:41:07 PM

As an aside, make sure you get the appropriate edition (64 or 32 bit).
It shouldn't be an issue (newer laptop, probably 64-bit), but make sure that in either case Dell has sufficent driver support.
m
l
February 16, 2010 3:47:39 PM

nouda said:
i've heard that the back ground often stays blue and couldn't be changed , or mistaken !!!! and while installing i do follow the same process as while installing an xp operating system !!

No dude nothing like that you can change the background or even the colour of the window borders
m
l
February 16, 2010 3:54:36 PM

i got windows 7 ultimate though not legit.. cracked version the guy even told me i can do updates just like the legit ones but that besides the point

i was a advent windows xp lover so comfortable with it's settings but when i switched over to windows 7 it surpassed my expectations one cute gimmick i like on windows 7 is that when your watching a movie and have to minimize the window
you can just highlight ur cursor on the media player icon on task bar and you'll see a mini box playing the video like a PIP box on tv screen haha
m
l
February 16, 2010 4:04:01 PM

yunggeh said:
i got windows 7 ultimate though not legit.. cracked version the guy even told me i can do updates just like the legit ones but that besides the point

i was a advent windows xp lover so comfortable with it's settings but when i switched over to windows 7 it surpassed my expectations one cute gimmick i like on windows 7 is that when your watching a movie and have to minimize the window
you can just highlight ur cursor on the media player icon on task bar and you'll see a mini box playing the video like a PIP box on tv screen haha

I love that feature too....there is a small rectangular box on bottom right of the screen if u keep ur cursor there it will show you your desktop and if u click on it it will get u to you desktop no matter how many windows are open...
m
l
February 16, 2010 4:14:05 PM

lol i had win 7 for about 3 weeks now and still trying to figure out the wall paper settings haha i hate that when i leave my media player on full screen and wall paper changes to next rotation my media player goes back to small screen bugs me so i just set my wall paper of this really hot korean chick name hyuna and let it be :p 

what else is good about win7 :) 

shravankale said:
I love that feature too....there is a small rectangular box on bottom right of the screen if u keep ur cursor there it will show you your desktop and if u click on it it will get u to you desktop no matter how many windows are open...

m
l
February 17, 2010 1:43:29 PM

Hello nouda,
Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

You can visit the official Microsoft migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7 site here: http://tinyurl.com/yz2uogt

Thanks again and good luck!

John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

m
l
February 24, 2010 6:22:15 AM

hello...
first what is FYI ??
second the ubunto operating system is already installed on the lap and i want to switch to either vista or Windows 7 thats why i want to know which do i install...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2010 6:39:22 AM

FYI: For your Information.
m
l
February 24, 2010 10:47:37 AM

nouda said:
hello...
first what is FYI ??
second the ubunto operating system is already installed on the lap and i want to switch to either vista or Windows 7 thats why i want to know which do i install...

WINDOWS 7 any day....i feel it's way better than vista or xp....THE BEST by microsoft after windows XP....
m
l
!