nouda

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hello,
i want to ask which of the operating systems is better to be installed, xp or windows 7 ??

nouda

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
actually i've recently got a Dell laptop and i want to know which of the operating systems do i install, because it hasn't any of them neither xp.... so what do i install and tell me the windows 7's advantages if you know some of them :)

Ah! interesting question. Both have their good and bad points, but Windows 7 is by far the most modern and yet simple OS Microsoft have ever developed. The only reason I would still recommend XP would be if your hardware is too old to run 7 properly.

nouda

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
No, it's new but i want to know what are the differences between the operating systems ?? to decide which do i install and do i have to install a licenced one or it doesn't matter ....

welshmousepk

Distinguished
well windows ,7 is newer.

it supports newer hardware and software, has more features and greater ease of use.

i wouldn't recommend XP to anyone anymore, since you are basically sticking yourself with dx9 and potentially cutting yourself off from many new features or software releases.

I'm not going to answer the second question, I assume you will do the right thing.

From using 7, the biggest advantages for me are the improvements in stability and security, and the much improved hardware support.

Windows 7 is very difficult to crash, and is also very good at managing hardware devices. It will even search for drivers online and install them automatically. Thus, the out-of-the-box experience is much better than XP, where you sometimes have to struggle for hours to get all your hardware and devices working.

nouda

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
well, thanks for ur fast response.. and i guess that i have to a get a licenced windows 7 operating system :) !!!! if there is anyother thing to be mentioned u tell me ....

nouda

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
i've heard that the back ground often stays blue and couldn't be changed , or mistaken !!!! and while installing i do follow the same process as while installing an xp operating system !!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
yes, both times ive installed w7 ive found it hangs on the blue background. initially i thought it was crashing, but after leaving it for a while (30 mins actually) i found it eventually did install. not sure if this is normal (due to unpacking files) or just a bug. but if it does hang, leave it.

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

The word difference won't be appropriate since windows 7 is a betterment of windos xp. I mean u could copy paste in xp and you can copy paste in windows 7 too, but windows 7 displays a small window with approx time remaining, the speed of transfer. But if u want to notice the difference, install xp for some time and then switch to windows 7 later, trust me you would not want to switch back

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
As an aside, make sure you get the appropriate edition (64 or 32 bit).
It shouldn't be an issue (newer laptop, probably 64-bit), but make sure that in either case Dell has sufficent driver support.

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

No dude nothing like that you can change the background or even the colour of the window borders

yunggeh

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
i got windows 7 ultimate though not legit.. cracked version the guy even told me i can do updates just like the legit ones but that besides the point

i was a advent windows xp lover so comfortable with it's settings but when i switched over to windows 7 it surpassed my expectations one cute gimmick i like on windows 7 is that when your watching a movie and have to minimize the window
you can just highlight ur cursor on the media player icon on task bar and you'll see a mini box playing the video like a PIP box on tv screen haha

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

I love that feature too....there is a small rectangular box on bottom right of the screen if u keep ur cursor there it will show you your desktop and if u click on it it will get u to you desktop no matter how many windows are open...

yunggeh

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
lol i had win 7 for about 3 weeks now and still trying to figure out the wall paper settings haha i hate that when i leave my media player on full screen and wall paper changes to next rotation my media player goes back to small screen bugs me so i just set my wall paper of this really hot korean chick name hyuna and let it be :p

what else is good about win7 :)

windows7guy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello nouda,
Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

You can visit the official Microsoft migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7 site here: http://tinyurl.com/yz2uogt

Thanks again and good luck!

John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

nouda

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
hello...
first what is FYI ??
second the ubunto operating system is already installed on the lap and i want to switch to either vista or Windows 7 thats why i want to know which do i install...

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

WINDOWS 7 any day....i feel it's way better than vista or xp....THE BEST by microsoft after windows XP....