Sign in with
Your question

NAS device through 2 routers

Last response: in Storage
November 8, 2011 7:39:55 PM

Hi Guys,
I was thinking about purchasing a NAS device for my home network for all my media. i currently have 4 Desktop computers and 3 laptops in the house. I currently run one main wired router for the Desktops, and a 2nd wireless router off the wired router for extended range and for the laptops.

My Question is if i connect the NAS up to the main wired rouer, will users on the wireless router be able to use it as it goes though a router that is not configured/cant be configured?
And also the 2 of the laptops are MACs will that make any difference? or just a different setup?

I have an understanding of networks but it is very limited to what i have done at home for my self.

Cheers

More about : nas device routers

November 8, 2011 10:25:58 PM

if you can ping/browse the devices from each machine then you should generally not have a problem
a b G Storage
November 8, 2011 10:57:19 PM

First off, hopefully you are not plugged into the "wan" port on the wireless router (lan port on one router to lan port on the other; wireless routers wan port should be unused), but just into a "lan" port and have DHCP turned off on the wireless router. It can work if you do use the wan port, but you have a "messier" network and potentially have some issues.

a b G Storage
November 18, 2011 6:40:29 PM

NP88 said:
Hi Guys,
I was thinking about purchasing a NAS device for my home network for all my media. i currently have 4 Desktop computers and 3 laptops in the house. I currently run one main wired router for the Desktops, and a 2nd wireless router off the wired router for extended range and for the laptops.

My Question is if i connect the NAS up to the main wired rouer, will users on the wireless router be able to use it as it goes though a router that is not configured/cant be configured?
And also the 2 of the laptops are MACs will that make any difference? or just a different setup?

I have an understanding of networks but it is very limited to what i have done at home for my self.

Cheers

Yes! your NAS will be accessible by both Wire and Wireless, as long as they are the same subnet ans netmask
!