Under clocking fx4100

joec_10

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I'm trying to put less stress on my cheap mother board before I can go out and buy a Gigabyte board. All my temps seem fine watching movies and minor gaming but when I play like Cod 4 star wars My temps will Reach there max.

What I want to achieve is under clocking or what ever needs to be done so the cpu does not Stress out my north bridge on my motherboard while I game. Should I just buy a Cheap x3 cpu instead would that be allot better with the motherboard I have?

I mean I can go sell my Cpu for 85 bucks and pick up a Duel core. Not sure if its the mother board it self.

Gpu 40c idle Max 55c
Cpu stays about 35c-40c idle and 63c Max
North bridge 45 idle 73 max load

joec_10

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I know when I touch my side case it just feels Warm So I Don't even know if my temps our currect but 83c seems Way to hot for a North bridge playing Star wars I'm getting a fan controller next month so I can't wait ;/

83 at 100% load is high but it is not dangerously high. I wouldn't bother underclocking but I would consider looking at cooling it down a bit. If you are comfortable doing so you can change the thermal paste on the CPU and motherboard heatsinks because the stock paste is usually garbage. Make sure that you use ceramic paste on the chipset though

I think your temps are perfectly normal and your "cheap" motherboard is just fine for your uses.

Changing the cpu paste MAY net you 2c, the stuff they give you is perfectly adequate.

If anything, I would add some case cooling, other than that I don't see any real issues.