Which motherboard should I get?

FreyjasChosen

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
This question has probably been asked a thousand times before in a slightly different way every time, but I need some recommendations. I'll list the parts that I already have, and I want to know what you all think is the best motherboard for this build.

Tower: Antec 300
Power supply: Rosewill 80 Plus Bronze 1000w
CPU: Intel Core i7-940 (will probably overclock. Also, will probably upgrade to hexacore when a mid-range CPU comes out)
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX285 (not doing multiple video cards. will upgrade to a high-end DX11 card eventually)
RAM: 6 or 8 GB DDR3
Sound card: Sound Blaster X-fi Fatal1ty
Monitor: 27" Hanns-G

All of these other parts are already purchased except for the RAM, so the options are pretty final. Based on what you see here, what's a good choice to buy for a motherboard?

FreyjasChosen

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

Fair enough, but my question is, why should I spend $300 on a motherboard when I can spend $170? Why shouldn't I get this ASRock?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163

I know I need an LGA1366 board with enough slots for the RAM and two PCI-E slots, but other than that, what really makes the difference between a $170 ASRock and a $360 Rampage II Extreme?

FreyjasChosen

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

Thanks, those articles explained it well. Basically the ASRock will do everything the same, just that I might want to go with the more expensive ones to get more overclocking out of my processor. Cool. I'll leave the question open for a while, but if nothing else comes up, I'll give you the best answer.

we call them ASSrock at my work - quality/compatibility/features are just rubbish compared to a decent ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard - never cheap out on the motherboard!

You might want to also check out the LGA1156 platform - works out most likely cheaper and same field of performance etc.

The OP already has the other components,so i don't think switching to 1156 is an option

FreyjasChosen

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

Just to let you know, I'm a fan of EVGA (I had a huge problem with the Rampage Extreme from ASUS in the past) but I went with your recommendation and got it for $289 at Newegg. Thanks.