Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do You Need To Have Wep On

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 8, 2010 1:01:00 PM

I can't connect my Iphone to my wifi unless i turn off the WEP is it safe to do that? thanks

More about : wep

March 8, 2010 1:14:07 PM

WEP is what secures your wireless connection from eavesdropping and unauthorized use. So it's important to use. That said, you couldn't have a more ineffective version of security. It's been thoroughly hacked and will only keep out the most casual passerby. You should be using WPA2 (preferred) or WPA instead.
March 8, 2010 1:34:37 PM

eibgrad said:
WEP is what secures your wireless connection from eavesdropping and unauthorized use. So it's important to use. That said, you couldn't have a more ineffective version of security. It's been thoroughly hacked and will only keep out the most casual passerby. You should be using WPA2 (preferred) or WPA instead.

With that said any idea how I can setup my Iphone, with WEP off it connects right up with in On it won't connect
Related resources

Best solution

March 8, 2010 2:01:29 PM

dchillis said:
With that said any idea how I can setup my Iphone, with WEP off it connects right up with in On it won't connect

Is the problem the iphone doesn't support WEP at all, or does but just isn't working for some reason? Does it report an error?

NOTE: Sometimes devices will require the WEP key, while you may have supplied a passphrase at the time you setup wireless security and the router GENERATED a WEP key based on that passphrase. IOW, is it possible you're providing a passphrase but it wants the actual key? Just speculating.
March 15, 2010 2:19:20 AM

Best answer selected by dchillis.
!