Bigger power supply bad for my mobo?

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I want to get a new power supply so I can upgrade my graphic card for a better one for gaming but I'm afraid my motherboard can't take it. I contacted Hp but they said the max is 400 watts but I want a 500+ watt but Hp is known for to not know questions so they guess. If you can look at my spec below to see what you guys think I would appricite it very much. I when I do put in a new power supply would i have to reset my Bios?

Thank you

Motherboard specifications table
Part / Feature Specification / Support
Motherboard description Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus IPIBL-LB
HP/Compaq name: Benicia-GL8E

CPU/Processor Socket: 775
Supports the following processors:
Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield core) Q9xxx
Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale core) E8xxx
Intel Core 2 Quad (Kentsfield core) up to Q6600
Core 2 Duo E6x00 (Conroe core) up to E6700
Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe core) up to E4400

Front-side bus (FSB) 800/1066/1333 MHz

Chipset Intel G33

BIOS features Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F10
System BIOS core brand: Award

Form factor micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

NOTE: *Actual available memory may be less

Expansion slots One PCI
One PCI Express x16 graphics (for graphics cards)
Two PCI Express x1 (for cards such as network, sound, tv-tuner)

Video graphics Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards

NOTE: Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.

Serial ATA Six SATA connectors:
Supports 1 SATA-150 or SATA-300 disk drive on each SATA connector
Speed up to 1.5Gb/sec or 3.0Gb/sec, complying with SATA 1.0 and SATA 2.0 specifications

NOTE: The faster rate of 3.0Gb/sec requires that both the hard drive and the motherboard support it. If one or the other does not support 3.0 Gb/sec, the PC negotiates down to the slower 1.5 Gb/sec.

RAID Onboard RAID controller: ICH9R
Selected Benicia models ship RAID-ready (For Spring 08, only selected CTO models will ship RAID-ready)
RAID modes supported*:
RAID 0
RAID 1

NOTE: RAID 5 requires three HDDs and RAID 10 requires four HDDs. While this motherboard can support RAID 10, only RAID 0 and RAID 1 modes are supported on computer models using this motherboard.

Onboard audio Audio CODEC: ALC888S 7.1 channel high-definition audio
Onboard LAN 1 Realtek 8111C 10/100/1000 Mb/s (Gigabit Ethernet) Integrated LAN

NOTE: Gigabit Ethernet is backwards compatible with 10/100 Mb/s network hardware.

Onboard USB USB 2.0
Twelve ports total
Four connectors on back panel
Six headers (four 1x4 and two 2x5 USB headers) support eight additional USB ports/devices

NOTE: Some USB ports may not be available externally for customer use. For more information, see model specifications.

Onboard 1394 Type: IEEE 1394a 400Mb/s
Agere LFW3227 controller chip
Two ports total
One port on back panel
One header on motherboard supporting one additional port/device

Back panel I/0 One PS/2 mouse port (green)
One PS/2 keyboard port (purple)
One coaxial SPDIF out
One coaxial SPDIF in
One VGA port
Four USB 2.0
One 6-pin IEEE 1394a
One RJ-45 networking port
Six Stereo-mini audio jacks for:
Line-in (light blue)
Microphone-in (pink)
Line-out (lime)
Center/Subwoofer-out (yellow-orange)
Side speaker-out (gray)
Rear speaker-out (black)

Internal connectors One 24-pin ATX power connector
One 4-pin ATX power connector
Six SATA connectors
One floppy drive connector
Two 12v fan connectors for CPU fan and PC fan
One 9-pin header for power button, reset button, power LED, and HDD LED
Three USB 2.0 headers supporting 6 USB ports or devices
One IEEE 1394a header
One SPDIF audio output header
One 4-pin audio line-input connector (interrupts line input on back panel, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
One 9-pin audio header for headphone-out and microphone-in (yellow, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
One Intel high-definition Audio/Modem Link (2x8 HDMI connector)
One jumper for resetting BIOS settings
One jumper to disable BIOS password checking

4745454b

Titan
I'm not sure why HP would say no. My guess is they don't offer a PSU that large? You should be able to add whatever PSU you want. Don't worry about a big one frying your motherboard. A PSU will only deliver whatever power is asked of it. It won't supply the full ???W to the system.

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I was just asking if a 500+ PSU would hurt my motherboard and they said "It wouldn't change anything but it probley won't boot up" with that sentence they confuse me. They don't answer your questions exactly they just beat around the bush. I ask him why it would hurt and the response was " some coils might not handle it" so they said a 400 watt is the limit.

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
My motherboard model is "Benicia-GL8E". I can't seem to change fan speeds with this model of mobo but my fan1 runs at 1540 rmp and fan2 935 rpm with my gpu at 50.C idle without playing games but goes to 60.C when playing world of warcraft. My cpu are core0: 38.C core1: 38.C idle without being on games but jump to high 40s when playing world of warcraft.
Is this good or bad? my graphic card is a geforce 9500 gs.

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Yea if it hits 60s thats when I will get a new HSF.
I downloaded core temp, real temp and speedfan and they all read the same temp for GPU and CPU. The TJ Max is at 100 but my hardware diagnostic tool says my cpu temp is at 43 but i'm thinking thats my case temp because people said the sensor is on the other side of the Motherboard.

These statements are made because they are supposed to only suggest things that they themselves sell as "good" for your system. Anything you do not buy from them is A: bad business for them, so B: it must be bad for you too.
That is why you do not buy a prebuild system, and then call them when you want to start upgrading. Prebuilds are not meant to be upgraded. They WANT YOU TO BUY A NEW PC, not upgrade what you have. They don't make money by doing that. So they are never, ever going to give you good or correct upgrade advice. A tech that does, will not be employed by that particular company for very long.

You can put a 1000 watt power supply in your system and it will make no difference. The parts on the board will only pull the amperage they need, the PSU does not "force" more into the parts or the board. The parts only pull what they need.

Now, what DOES make a difference is you do things to the board that cause it to use more amps, like overclocking and upping the voltage on the memory, your CPU, your PCI buss, THEN the board may draw enough amps to physically burn out the capacitors. Maybe, but doubtful, because your board is not going to support the features you need to do this in the first place.

If you just need a bigger PSU because you have done something like installed a high end GPU, there is no worries at all.

vpjtsinister

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I also have those same system specs and wanted to upgrade my GPU to something beefier.. So i bought an Asus EAH4890 DDR5 graphics card... knowing that the meesly 350w power supply wouldnt run it, I bought a 650 TRUEPOWER psu,, but unfortunately when I powered up the sytem, everything starting spooling up.. but no video.. both monitors read NO SIGNAL..

I switched back to my Nvidia 9400GT and it also did the same thing...NO SIGNAL... only when I switched out the PSU back to the old 350w, did I finally get a picture with the old Video card...

SO for some reason, The newer 650W PSU does not work with this system...

Any suggestions?

Sinister