Old harddrive into new computer?

Xbox4wwe

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
My desktop computer recently crashed and now it wont turn on at all. Im not great with computers but what could cause it not to turn on? But the main thing is I have alot of stuff on that hard drive and I was wondering if its possible to buy a new desktop and somehow connect my old hard drive into my new desktop so I can transfer my files over? So if anyone can help me it would be great. Either help to fix my old desktop to turn on or how to connect old hard drive into new desktop. Thank you.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Actually a ridiculously easy thing for a non skilled user to do, pick up one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Its an adapter that essentially lets you connect any hard drive to a usb port and it will act as an external hard drive, then simply open it up and copy what you want off it.

As far as your computer not turning on the primary reason is a bad power supply, if you want you could buy a new computer and connect the old drive. I would recommend you try replacing the power supply or if dont want to/cant find someone then you could get that adapter from above and pull out your hard drive.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The adapter that vegettonox recommended is a good temporary way to connect an HDD to a computer. But the straightforward way is simply to open up the old computer, disconnect the4 HDD, remove the mounting screws and pull out the HDD. Reverse the process in the new desktop - open, mount in an empty drive bay with screws or whatever is necessary, connect power and data cables, and clone up again. The data cable (the smaller one with 7 wires) ought to go to a mobo SATA connector right beside the one already in use for the C: drive of the new computer.

This makes your old HDD a second permanent drive in the new computer. When you reboot the new machine, Windows ought to find the old drive right away and make it available in My Computer.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Also, the issue at hand sounds more like a power supply problem. Because of cheap they've become, I'd pick up a Power Supply Tester to see if that is where you problem lies. For $20 it should work on whatever systems you run across for about the next 4-5 years. $20 tool is less expensive than replacing the wrong part ONCE on any PC.

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Your computer not turn on at all? I think you need first to make sure "turn on" means the power not turn on? or you could not boot up your OS. The former means there's something wrong with your hardware, the latter means there's something wrong with your software, your operating system. You need first make clearly of this, then you could find the right solution.If your computer is just a small mistake on software, then you buy a new computer...WOW...that is unworthy.

Xbox4wwe

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
The computer just does not turn on. Before it stopped working, the fans were going non-stop. Then I powered down the system and it turned off. The next day I went to turn it on and it won't turn on. I checked the power cord and every other cord to the desktop and everything was connected and working. The desktop just will not turn on. I'm not the greatest with computers but I've never had this issue before and I appreciate the answers for my original post. The adapter sounds nice and I do like the idea of another internal harddrive. I'm just gonna have to wait till income tax and get a new desktop. Just sucks cause I have all my pics and videos on the desktop. Luckily my wife has a laptop to use.