RussK1

Splendid
Bought a cheapo HP Slimline s5603w desktop today for a 100 bucks for my mother (HP 18.5" monitor, mouse and keyboard). The deal was that it needed a mobo because the one in it is bad. The dude I bought it from said that the monitor shows "No Signal" which had me thinking it's CPU and not mobo. When I hit it with power everything spins up but it doesn't post which, in turn again, has me thinking the way I do. Am I right about it being CPU related?? While it was on, I would unplug the vga from the back I/O and the Monitor would know, so when I would plug it back in it would go instantly to sleep. From my knowledge this indicates a bad cpu not mobo right?? It even dawned on me maybe the guy did something wrong in the bios so I cleared the cmos with the jumpers to no avail... even took out the battery.

It's not a big deal as I already ordered some cheapo parts from newegg to put in this thing but it would be nice to know how one can determine whether something is mobo or cpu related. Is there a sure fire way of knowing??

Thanks,
Russ

RussK1

Splendid

How would I go about testing a cpu, besides putting it in another computer? I mean, I'm not going to go through the trouble with this particular one as it's a $40 dollar single core but it would be nice to know for future reference.

Kinda under the impression that it is mobo related... I turn the comp. on and it stays on but doesn't post, I proceed to plug in a usb powered fan, red optical mouse, etc and I don't get anything. So you're prob. right for inclining as to the mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138294

Ordered these so I should be fine.

Thanks,
Russ

RussK1

Splendid

Figured as much... Knew it was a dumb question but asked anyway just in case. Took it apart today and I could tell some dumbass had taken the heatsink off because there was thermal compound everywhere. Doesn't look as if it got onto the pins but it did get onto the mobo. Prob. shorted it to say the least... the sad thing is, if the cpu is still good(I'll try it with the new mobo first when it gets here) Neweggs return policy states no refunds only exchanges. Oh well, I should've looked into mobo's that are able to unlock the extra core in select AMD cpu's(I know this doesn't always work). $40 bucks for a dual core would be nice although my mother wouldn't know the difference...

Anyhow, thanks for the input.

Russ

TRENDING THREADS