Solved

Best way to move from hdd to dual

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 8, 2011 10:20:41 PM

So I've finally gone and bought a 128gb crucial m4. Currently everything is installed on a 1tb caviar black hdd.

Normally, I'd just do a fresh install of windows on the ssd and go from there. However, I'm boarding at a friends house and his bandwidth limit is tiny, so to re-download all my games and programs would far exceed his limit.

I'm not exactly sure if this is the best way to change boot drives without re-installing windows but here's what i think i'd try.

-uninstall all programs i don't need on the ssd.
-move/delete all data stored in various places (desktops, documents, etc)
-once the hdd contains only the stuff i want on the ssd, i make an image and copy it over.

Does this make sense? Are there more elegant ways to do this?

More about : move hdd dual

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 8, 2011 11:39:23 PM

There are ways to do what you want to do. One recommendation I was given was to shrink the partition to 90GB or so on your 1TB drive, make a windows backup, then use the windows install disk to restore the backup on your M4 and expand the partition to the full 120GB (or so).

However I have also been warned that any such process that copies an HDD install to an SSD is a bad idea. When windows installs fresh it knows that you're using an SSD and it adjusts some settings appropriately - like enabling TRIM.

I understand your conundrum, but I don't think anything is going to be as good as a fresh install.
a c 84 G Storage
November 9, 2011 12:43:19 AM

Fresh
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2011 4:18:01 AM

damn, i was hoping this wouldn't be the case.
MS should provide a tool to transfer and 'convert' your installation.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 9, 2011 4:38:48 AM

slicedtoad said:
damn, i was hoping this wouldn't be the case.
MS should provide a tool to transfer and 'convert' your installation.

Yeah, it's frustrating. I've got to say I've never tried it myself but I've been warned against it several times.
m
l
November 9, 2011 4:45:58 PM

Best answer selected by slicedtoad.
m
l