Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GeForce FX 5200 256MB 128-bit vs. GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 7, 2009 5:38:26 AM

The computer I have is a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop which is quite old. It only has integrated graphics so ive been wanting to upgrade them. The only available slots are PCI so my choices are sorta limited. I am also looking in around the $40-50 range which is why these cards seem to fit perfectly. (price wise at least) The Dell has only a 250 watt psu, so my first question is can these cards run on the standard psu, or would i have to upgrade it. My next question is which would be better for my system, with both being the same cost and all.

PNY VCGFX522PEB GeForce FX 5200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SPARKLE SFPC84GS256U2LP GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My System Specs:
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A01
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1278MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Integrated Graphics: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 7, 2009 6:12:32 AM

The PSU should be fine for either but both of these cards are very weak so I'm not sure how much of an upgrade you will see. If you do go ahead with it the 8400 GS is slightly better than the FX 5200 I believe.
December 7, 2009 7:02:38 AM

Is there any card you would recommend then?
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 7, 2009 7:19:08 AM

Well, what do you plan on using the new card for exactly? If the answer is gaming then the only PCI card I'm seeing that is vaguely decent for gaming is a 9500gt and those start at $75. However I know that the PCI interface can severely limit cards so I'm not sure if a 9500GT is a good idea in any case.
You would probably be better off asking later when more people are around so someone might be more knowledgeable about PCI cards.
December 7, 2009 9:52:11 AM

jyjjy said:
Well, what do you plan on using the new card for exactly? If the answer is gaming then the only PCI card I'm seeing that is vaguely decent for gaming is a 9500gt and those start at $75. However I know that the PCI interface can severely limit cards so I'm not sure if a 9500GT is a good idea in any case.
You would probably be better off asking later when more people are around so someone might be more knowledgeable about PCI cards.


well with PCI its a waste really to use anything more then 256 mb, my main question on these two cards is the 64 bit gddr2 vs 128 bit ddr. And these cards might not be super powerful but all im looking for is a step up from the integrated, not some crazy insane graphics. (Unless i can get those for around 50 bucks lol)
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2009 9:59:12 AM

GeForce 210 at $50 is a good choice!
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2009 10:06:18 AM

ummmm PCI not PCIE

btw to the OP if you have 1278mb of ram, dump the crappy 256mb stick for a touch more performance

if your gaming forget about the whole rig its a waste of time
December 7, 2009 3:30:49 PM

apache_lives said:
ummmm PCI not PCIE

btw to the OP if you have 1278mb of ram, dump the crappy 256mb stick for a touch more performance

if your gaming forget about the whole rig its a waste of time


Dump the whole rig? I can play games like WoW fine, i would just like to have slightly better fps and better looking graphics so i think dumping the whole rig would be kinda idiotic. I just want to know what card i can get to help with this.
December 8, 2009 12:03:39 AM

bump, anyone?
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 12:24:44 AM

yeah get the 8400gs
I had the fx5200 it was good for war hammer 40k

the faster speed on the core of the GS and addtional shaders
will be a lot better 64 vs 128 bit mem interface wont matter at all......at all
but even though its capable
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 12:26:07 AM

yeah nevermind the "but even though its capable" part I was just distracted
December 8, 2009 12:31:32 AM

spentshells said:
yeah get the 8400gs
I had the fx5200 it was good for war hammer 40k

the faster speed on the core of the GS and addtional shaders
will be a lot better 64 vs 128 bit mem interface wont matter at all......at all
but even though its capable



Alright thank you, any other opinions? So far everyone seems to leaning more towards the 8400gs.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2009 3:34:48 AM

PCI slot there's only one card that fits your requirement: 8400GS don't look any further. There's one from ATI, that's HD4350, its $85! So no point going for that!
!