Sign in with
Your question

Welcome to Windows screen appears when starting Windows XP after installing the

Last response: in Windows XP
June 15, 2012 12:31:58 AM

I downloaded Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and since then have had to click on my user name / load my personal settings to start Windows, which is slowing down boot time considerably. I have an XP Home Edition with SP3. Microsoft advise installing the latest service pack for the .NET Framework 1.1 for resolution:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

....but I have installed this to no avail....I still have an ASPNET local user account, which is interfering with mine.

Please note that I am the Computer Administrator and I have no password....I have read:

For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive an error message?

How can I rectify this please?
June 15, 2012 1:53:45 PM

ScarletHorizon said:
I downloaded Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and since then have had to click on my user name / load my personal settings to start Windows, which is slowing down boot time considerably. I have an XP Home Edition with SP3. Microsoft advise installing the latest service pack for the .NET Framework 1.1 for resolution:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

....but I have installed this to no avail....I still have an ASPNET local user account, which is interfering with mine.

Please note that I am the Computer Administrator and I have no password....I have read:

For Windows XP Home, don't try to auto-login as the built-in Administrator, as you'll receive an error message?

How can I rectify this please?

My question is why were you installing it to begin with ? That version 1.1 was released after the 1st beta in 2000, i believe. Since it caused the problem to start with (creates hidden logon) uninstall it.
June 15, 2012 4:10:40 PM

Well, I checked Microsoft Updates a few days ago and it was bizarrely listed amongst them (with known issues?). I have now uninstalled it, but the user account / boot problem remains. For resolution Microsoft advise installing .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1, but that didn't work either.
Related resources
June 15, 2012 7:24:37 PM

ScarletHorizon said:
Well, I checked Microsoft Updates a few days ago and it was bizarrely listed amongst them (with known issues?). I have now uninstalled it, but the user account / boot problem remains. For resolution Microsoft advise installing .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1, but that didn't work either.

There has been recent problems with MS resending those old updates over and over again, even though they are out of date, and have been superceded by newer versions. It happens with V2.0 and 3.0 also.

All I can suggest is to restore Windows to day before you did the updates.

PS: I have Updates set to download and notify me. (don't Update until I say so) - Then when I click on the Icon, I select what I want updated (custom install)
June 16, 2012 2:15:49 PM

Thank you for helping me and sorry for the delayed response, I didn't receive a notification for your message?

I am having all sorts of computer problems at the moment and am feeling quite stressed....main one being BSODs, which started recently during a scan....in fact I am about to ask another question here in relation to that.

With regards to restore Windows to day before I did the updates....that's what I want to do, but System Restore will not complete no matter what date I check.

Trouble with Microsoft Updates for me is I am not familiar with many of them or their current versions....which means doing an information search for each one.

I wish I could afford a new computer. :sweat: 

June 17, 2012 9:45:28 AM

ScarletHorizon said:
Thank you for helping me and sorry for the delayed response, I didn't receive a notification for your message?

I am having all sorts of computer problems at the moment and am feeling quite stressed....main one being BSODs, which started recently during a scan....in fact I am about to ask another question here in relation to that.

With regards to restore Windows to day before I did the updates....that's what I want to do, but System Restore will not complete no matter what date I check.

Trouble with Microsoft Updates for me is I am not familiar with many of them or their current versions....which means doing an information search for each one.

I wish I could afford a new computer. :sweat: 

What scan are you referring to that generated BSOD ? If it is your Anti Virus Scan, try running it in safe mode. And what AV are you using ?

RE: Restore - The date that contains a restore point is hilighted. If not hilighted, there is no restore point to use.
June 17, 2012 10:15:50 AM

My computer had its first BSOD ever during a recent GMER Rootkit Scan and has been unstable ever since with further BSODs mainly at start-up, one during surfing yesterday followed by a normal Windows shutdown without any prompting from me shortly after re-boot. Error codes have varied slightly:

0x000000BE / Driver IRQL not less or equal

An attempt was made to write to read only memory.

USbuhci.sys -

0x000000DI

An Avast (my antivirus) Malware Remover advised me to use the GMER Rootkit Scan (which has now been removed using the 'clean tool'....fully?) because I was having problems with 'Trojan Horse Blocked' / 'Malicious URL' alerts whenever I went to my / some of my friends MySpace profiles, however, he did say that it was the pages themselves that were infected. I believe my computer is clean, all scans....Malwarebytes, aswMBR, TTDS Killer, OTL and majority of GMER Rootkit Scanner until BSOD were 100% clear apart from one 'PUM' for Microsoft Updates.

As for System Restore....yes, I did click on the highlighted / bold dates....it appeared to be working, but afterwards repeatedly showed: Restoration Incomplete.

June 17, 2012 12:52:15 PM

ScarletHorizon said:
My computer had its first BSOD ever during a recent GMER Rootkit Scan and has been unstable ever since with further BSODs mainly at start-up, one during surfing yesterday followed by a normal Windows shutdown without any prompting from me shortly after re-boot. Error codes have varied slightly:

0x000000BE / Driver IRQL not less or equal

An attempt was made to write to read only memory.

USbuhci.sys -

0x000000DI

An Avast (my antivirus) Malware Remover advised me to use the GMER Rootkit Scan (which has now been removed using the 'clean tool'....fully?) because I was having problems with 'Trojan Horse Blocked' / 'Malicious URL' alerts whenever I went to my / some of my friends MySpace profiles, however, he did say that it was the pages themselves that were infected. I believe my computer is clean, all scans....Malwarebytes, aswMBR, TTDS Killer, OTL and majority of GMER Rootkit Scanner until BSOD were 100% clear apart from one 'PUM' for Microsoft Updates.

As for System Restore....yes, I did click on the highlighted / bold dates....it appeared to be working, but afterwards repeatedly showed: Restoration Incomplete.

Once a computer has been infected (especially with a rootkit), one can never be assured everything has been removed. Even with clean scans, and I don't care how many different scanners you use. The next step should be repair the OS from the Windows CD. If problems persist, save your personal files and Drivers, format the HDD and clean install, then you will have to suffer thru numerous Windows updates, unless you slipstream xp/sp3 with your Windows CD and burn a bootable installation CD.
June 17, 2012 3:49:52 PM

He told me that my computer wasn't infected, it was the pages themselves - the alerts were to advise me that the threats had been blocked. That's all I contacted him about....MySpace didn't help and the repeated pop-ups on the site were driving me crazy....I really don't know why he advised all the scans in the first place.
June 17, 2012 7:27:35 PM

ScarletHorizon said:
He told me that my computer wasn't infected, it was the pages themselves - the alerts were to advise me that the threats had been blocked. That's all I contacted him about....MySpace didn't help and the repeated pop-ups on the site were driving me crazy....I really don't know why he advised all the scans in the first place.

If those alerts blocked something - You were infected ! - I refer you back to my previous post

Driver IRQL not less or equal : Even Microsoft mentions this can be the cause of this error, as something is overwriting memory, illegally, if you will. Another cause is a "flaky" driver (usually 3rd party) that is not coded properly. An update to the latest Service Pack is recommended, unless you are on SP3 already, and it is updated to current status. Also, a repair / install from the Windows CD may resolve some issues.
June 18, 2012 3:46:30 PM

I really appreciate your help, thank you.

Re: The ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range.

I've read that this may occur because my computer is not fully compliant with XP's power management settings....it originally had Windows ME.

However, that error was regularly listed in Event Viewer long before the BSOD problem started and apparently it doesn't normally cause boot problems alone, which I intermittently have.

The issue started during a GMER Rootkit scan and I have read that a number of others have had BSOD problems with it too.

I have SP3 (fully updated), I don't have an XP CD!

I want to do a clean boot, but need a PS/2 keyboard to use Windows Advanced Options boot menu....trying to sort that out.

The problem on MySpace was malicious redirect URLs, the blocks were stopping my page being redirected to another site.

!